• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How to Remove Drive Bezels

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BryanS

Registered
I read everything I could find here and then wrestled with my Pioneer DVD and Lite-on CDRW drive for quite a while in an attempt to remove them for painting. I had no trouble figuring out how to remove the bezel itself but for the life of me, I could not figure out how to remove the CD/DVD tray. The face of the tray was so big that I could not remove the bezel from the drive even though I was able to disconnect it. I felt like a complete rock for a while but I finally figured it out.

This is what I did, for those of you feeling as I did: I removed the drive from the computer after sliding the tray into the open position. Then I looked at the inside front area of the tray and noticed that the tray front could actually be removed from the tray itself. By pushing in 2 tabs (on the top of the face for the Pioneer and on the bottom for the Lite-on) I was able to slide the tray face up or down (depending on the drive) and remove it from the tray completely. Then by using a small screw driver I pushed in the plastic tabs in the metal drive body where the bezel was secured. Once I had them removed I pried away the clear LED section so I could paint the drive without covering the LED with paint. I plan to follow some of the great painting tips I've seen here to color match my drive faces to my case. I just thought someone else might be feeling like their drive was outsmarting them, just like I felt. These directions may vary for other drives, which may be why I didn't find anything clear posted explaining how to remove the tray face.

Just for the record, Cown has a great sticky about painting drive faces that explains this perfectly, but no matter how many times I read it I thought it was explaining how to remove the entire tray from the drive :)

Last edited:
You're lucky - Unless I dismember my drives, there is NO WAY (at least, that I can find) of geting the tray off...

Hell - i just painted it with the drive disconnected, and the tray out. Used a really fine brush near to the electronics, and prayed :D

Works fine - a paint drop onto the motors / electrics would NOT have done my drives any favours...

Back