• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Xp cpu and Slk800 heat sink opinions wanted

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

GW

Registered
I just purchased a Therkalight SLk800 and would like opinions on using a SHIM or the supplied pads OR nothing at all.

Thanks in advance for the input.

I have slk-800 and the sk-7 and don't use either, to be quite honest I wouldn't have bought the 800 the sk-7 performs within a 1-2'c.

Last edited:
If this is your first or second HS install use the pads, four at each corner. the shim is unnecessary.
If you tend to bump into things with your elbows use the pads.
If machines develop nasty personalities around you and only you, use the pads. (I think this last one applies to me :)

If you really want some extra protection, use the pads.
I didn't use the pads but would have if I had figured out what they were for before I installed my SK-7. LOL

I bought an anodized shim last year right after I crushed the core of my 1.3G tbird but have never used it.

I used up all of my pads. 4 on a 2400+ that was DOA sent if back for refund. 4 on 1600+ I had and sold to a friend. I then used the SLK-800 on a 750 T-Bird and now this chip. No problems...just precautionary crap.

There is no reason to not use the pads, they do not adversely effect the performance of the heatsink. The Slk800 is hands down the best heatsink on the market, closely followed by the Sk7 and a few other high performance Heat sinks. I got a drop of 1C when I went from the slk800 to the sk7(the clip on the sk7 got lazy) and at $30 on sale I couldn't turn it down... just to let you in on how good it is, the 1600+ in my sig is running at up to 2.0V at 51C max under load on a pretty quiet 50 CFM fan.

I have taken off my hs many a time and never worry about crushing the core or anything like that. I use the feet. I don't think you should throw away money on a shim. Not needed. ;)

of you guys that take the pads off what kind of differances in temp have you found?

ive always used mine but im considering taking them off for my waterblock when it gets here.is alot easier to mount than a hs.

Back