• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Making Water Blocks

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
hmm if you live in an igloo your air watercooling results should be pretty good if you just hang the rad out the window... :D annnnnyways... some people who make their own blocks have experience with and access to cnc machinery, or good friends. other people simply drill holes through a solid block and solder some pipe to the block. there are a lot of ways to go about fashioning your own block but i am not aware of a guide on how to make one in general... however, i do know that some people have made illustrated accounts of building their own blocks and perhaps this could help you. you can either do a search for diy waterblocks using various applicable search terms or you could wait to see if someone volunteers a link. good luck. :)

No real guide to it. I just start with a chunk of metal (usually copper) and cut away anything that doesn't look like a waterblock. You can use many sealants, but RTV, Marine Goop, and others are commonly used. Search for sealants and you'll find a few threads about it.

Thanks guys. Don't diss on my igloo :p lol

My dad has a really big drill press in the garage and a whole bunch of other machines for wood work stuff.... so I already have the equipment.

Thanks again, i'll see what I can dig up.

I just got an idea...
Can I use a normal air heatsink and drill some holes in it to make a water block? I seen this done with an AX-7, but I don't know if it was very effective.
I need a heat sink for a P4, not Athlon XP also :( Any ideas? I can't use Alpha, Swiftech heatsinks because they don't have a solid core.

uhhhh 2 holes one coming down on each side and a channel in the middle. i saw a copper version of this heatsink modded. maybe some one has a link thats where i saw it.

Back