• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

XP2400 or XP2600 333FSB

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ludio

Hi im new to OC forums, after careful study i've decided to go with AMD over Intel. Im upgrading from a Gateway Performance 550MHZ PIII. I have presently a XP2400 AIUGB, I have the chance to get a 2600 333FSB AIUHB for $250 USD. I have never overclocked, built a system at all before. So im going on knowledge gained through reading, I don't have wisdom of past experience working in my favor on this. Will I be able to get the 2400 to clock at 2400GHZ on air? Or will I have a better chance going with the 2600 for a clock speed like that. I know I will probably have to manually unlock the 2400. But, im not to sure on the 2600, since not alot of people speak on that. The components of the system are:
ASUS A7N8X DX
Corsair XMS PC 3200 512MB x2
ASUS V9280s GeForce 4 Ti 4200-8X
WD800JB
Liteon 52x CDR-RW
Liteon 16x DVD
SLK-800 AS3
Vantec Tornado 80mm
Antec 1080AMG 430 True Power w/5 80mm
Windows XP Home

All insite would be helpful.Thx!

The 2600 comes completly unlocked with my asus A7V8X system specs in my signature as far as getting the 2400 on air I wouldnt know........ I just know my buddy with a Volcano Tt cooler has his 2600 running at that speed. Im on water so I dont have to hear the noise hee hee. :D

That is a good 2400+ stepping but that 2600+ is also a good stepping and a good price. Get them both and I will buy the one you don't want. I am in need of a good stepping 2400+ or 2600+.

Your system specs are alot like mine..Id have to say go with the 2600xp the price is awesome you cant get it any lower than that right now..If for nothing else i say 2600 because of the FSB(333mhz)..Both CPU's seem to be good steppings so in the end id say they would both serve you well..
I suggest you get something for the north brigde, some kinda of cooling i mean..Many people have reported its hot as heck..
I personal went with this(Vantec Iceberq COPPER Chipset Coolking Kit )..
As for OC'ing the 2400 or 2600 i am not sure yet(still waiting on my stuff to get here :( )
Theres a thread somewhere here that explains/shows what one guy did with a 2700(got it up to 3ghz!) but i think he was using vaporchill as cooling..
Anyhow welcome to the forums :) ..I hope you enjoy your choice :)
specs:
Asus ASUS A7N8X DX
CPU:2600 xp
ram:Samsung 2700 DDR X2
SLK-800 @ Sunon Tornado Fan
HD:WD 40gb 7200rpm
Vantec Iceberq COPPER Chipset Coolking Kit
Power Supply: Enermax 431 Watt
Win Xp Pro/or Win2k(not sure yet)
(using old cdroms for older PC,til i get more cash for something better)
All in a ghetto case mod.
www.geocities.com/nitehouseofplugins/casemodpaint.gif
(copy paste link in new window)
dont mind my toes :p

The 2400 b doesn't clock very good on that M/B
At least it didn't for me.....X154 = 308fsb max I could get
The best 3dmark 14134

back to the old M/B 2400@2,310 air

Thanx I think im going to get the 2600 and try it out and see how both clock then I'll make a decision on which to keep and get rid of. I actaully changed the fan last night, I ordered a Delta 80cfm fan im pretty sure, just yet don't know from personal experience if its gonna be loud as hell, but the cooler the better till I get money to invest in a prometia system. -Nite- im gonna see bout the NB cooling solutions out there thanx for the suggestion.

Last edited:
hmm if u can get the 2600 for that price id do that.but id only expect a 100mhz gain over the 2400,both of these on air.

i get 2551 100%stable but gets too warm while folding.this is why i have h20 coming.if your gonna stay on air get the 2600.

JoJoMoJo said:
The 2600 comes completly unlocked with my asus A7V8X system specs in my signature as far as getting the 2400 on air I wouldnt know........ I just know my buddy with a Volcano Tt cooler has his 2600 running at that speed. Im on water so I dont have to hear the noise hee hee. :D
When you say unlocked do you mean ALL multis including those above 12.5? (I assume your cpu is a 333 version)?

deathstar13 said:
hmm if u can get the 2600 for that price id do that.but id only expect a 100mhz gain over the 2400,both of these on air.

i get 2551 100%stable but gets too warm while folding.this is why i have h20 coming.if your gonna stay on air get the 2600.

Right before I was to purchase it from my friend I thought to myself why. Then decided against it , he was disappointed obviously but, its not worth it right now with Barton coming up in a few months. Im gonna stay with the 2400 and play with it a bit when my system is hooked up. Im gonna use the money saved up to probably get a better moniter to look at, or invest in Corsair XMS 3500 memory rather than the 3200. I may even reconsider the Asus for the Epox. But, thats still out till I see more on how the two perform on comparision to one another.

You are the first person I have heard that has access from 5.5 through to 18 - have you modded the cpu in anyway? Just to ask again its definitely a 333? Also what is your multi and FSB set up?
Edit - hang on according to your sig the end code is C not D indicating it is a 266 XP2600 not a 333 XP2600- correct?)

Last edited:
15x173 and the below signature shows the codeing on the cpu. No modifications have been done whatsoever to the chip. And dont know what to tell you about that code except that if thats the case C doesnt mean 266 anymore. Even the OEM box right on it , im looking at it now says "2600+ With 333mhz Front Side Bus."

Have you actually tried all those multipliers? The bios will show them regardless of if the chip is unlocked or if they work.

JoJoMoJo said:
15x173 and the below signature shows the codeing on the cpu. No modifications have been done whatsoever to the chip. And dont know what to tell you about that code except that if thats the case C doesnt mean 266 anymore. Even the OEM box right on it , im looking at it now says "2600+ With 333mhz Front Side Bus."
Sorry but AMD havent changed the way they code the chip a C is a 266 bus check on their tech specs from their website here (pg 77)
http://www.amd.com/us-en/assets/content_type/white_papers_and_tech_docs/25175.pdf

I suspect the box is marked incorrectly.
Easy way to check is to reset it in the BIOS to its defaults and see what speed it is.

Once again with below code and Asus A7V8X all multis are unlocked high and low ranges with no chip modification. See my sig for code. http://home.attbi.com/~diablo363rd1/multis.JPG jpeg of the low range and jpeg of the high range http://home.attbi.com/~diablo363rd1/B.JPG As far as the specs posted above........ I cant say anything other than the chip that was delivered to me. And that chip is a verified at default setting 166x12.5 with high and low ranges unlocked and a box that says 333fsb.......... what more can i do to prove this? Id be happy to take a picture of the high and low ranges on the desktop within bootup time apart. :D

Last edited:
At the risk of labouring the point I think you will find the chip states D - I can understand the box being incorrectly labelled however.
http://firingsquad.gamers.com/hardware/2600xp333/page2.asp
Dont suppose you can do a screenshot of the cpu can you? Anyway irrespective of all that you are lucky to have all the multis available as I dont think the NF2 mobos give you it and I know some of the Kt400's dont either!

Back