• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Ugh, what to upgrade to?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

arhines

Heres my situation:
I love duallies, and 3 of my last 4 systems have been dual (bp6, (single proc athlon), vp6, now an a7m266-d with durons). BUT i dont have the cash or power need anymore to be sitting on a ~200 dollar mobo with two forty dollar cpus. Just seems wrong somehow, and I dont have the cash to upgrade the CPUs considerably. But what I can (and want to) do is sell it all, and get a nice single cpu setup...with a motherboard more like 100 bucks. Now the thing is, I'm so out of the loop with regard to current single cpu mobos, reliability problems, and most importantly price/performance ratios that I have no idea what to get! I was thinking of nforce2 with an xp ~2400 or so, or of an 845 chipset board but frankly, I don't know which.

I want something which will let me use a fairly low noise heatsink (like my current ax-7's), and will either be really fast in the first place (2400+) or will overclock very well without needing extreme cooling measures (p4 1.6a or something).
I figure that I have about:
175 for the mobo+usb2 card (a7m266-d)
30 each cpu (duron 1.3)
50 for the heatsinks (2x ax-7)
90 for the memory (2x 256 meg ecc crucial sticks iirc)

So I have ~375 on my hands to get a new motherboard, memory, cpu, and a heatsink (unless i keep one ax-7 if i go with an amd system, in which case i have 350 for all but a hsf). I'm also willing to pay a little in addition to what i get if it makes a discernable difference.

This could probably get me:
a p4@ 2.4B (190-ish)
an i845 mobo (maybe 100?) (and suggest better chipsets please! I've heard great things (from the front page at least) about the albatron board)
512 of pc2700 (90-ish)

OR:
2400+ (173) <---would it be better just to get a cheap+fast 1600+, or is the upgrade path not going to get much past the 2700+ anyways?
a7n8x (120)<----a7n8x? a7v8x? which is the good nf2 board?
512 of 2700 (would i need 3200 to max out the chip?)

Thanks for the input, I feel like a moron having not kept track of current "hot" motherboards and such.

PS performance-wise, I want something very zippy in regular applications, with linux and xp pro support, and with enough power to NOT be the bottleneck in ut2k3 etc...

Last edited:
Why sell your duals? You have to realise that you cannot "run after technology". Except if they are <500MHz .......then ok go ahead and sell them. If I were you, I would save extra money and buy parts, not sell duals.
My $0.02

Back