• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Fan for 5½" bay ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

flixotide

In my mATX design, I could really use a set of fans to mount in my spare 5½ drive bay.

Alas, the ones I have make a noise, not very loud, but very high pitched.

Does any-one know of any good designs out there?

Cheers, Flixotide

unless youre planning on dropping $$ on a 5 1/4" slot cooler, i say stick with your current fans and just adjust thier speed using a resistor, potentiometer or rheostat. i know what you mean with high pitch. i put a 40mm on the backside of my vid card and it was louder than anything else in there. so i had to drop the rpms to get it to a dull hum.

The whole trick really is, that the mATX cabinet I have is kinda tricky. Although I do have an 80 mm fan on the back, it is placed a bit too low for it to be really good at sucking out the heat form the processor.

So the real problem is, that the fan and airflow through the PSU really carries all the heat, and by gawd that PSU gets hotter than the blazes of hades.

That is why I want to fit a fan thingy in my top 5 inch bay, to move the hot air away from the PSU. There just isn't enough space anywhere else in this mATX case.

Cheers, Tman

Just mod a baycover and put some 40mm fans in it...
(These are 9CFM Sunons and I can't hear them)

pict0091.jpg

CD:)

Back