• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Mobo Raid Connections

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

orion25

Folding in memory of my dads, Tim B. & Mike B.
I have 2 HDD's and 2 Optical Drives on my comp. I do not currently run RAID and do not plan to in the near future. It is currently set up with The 80 gb as primary and the 40 gb (backup) as slave on IDE 1. The two CD drives are on IDE 2. My mobo has built in RAID. Could I use the two RAID channels as regular IDE channels and have each drive on a different channel?

Would this be a good idea if it will work or is there some other way I should connect my drives? I am going for Copying performance, HDD to HDD, HDD to CD, CD to CD, etc.

Thanks

Heres what I do...

Set up 2 striped RAID 0 arrays, each with one drive (your 80gb on one, yr 40gb the other)

BTW, connect the HDDs as the masters on both the RAID channels

Then, connect the CD drives as masters to the onboard IDE controller.

Should help!

ImG

Thanks, but I do not want RAID right now. I will go with RAID as soon as I can aford another 80gb. Besides, I would give up 40 gb of space with a RAID right now.

orion25 said:
Thanks, but I do not want RAID right now. I will go with RAID as soon as I can aford another 80gb. Besides, I would give up 40 gb of space with a RAID right now.

If you read his post real careful, He did not tell you to set up a 2 drive array. He meant that you should setup a seperate array on each single drive. That way the ports you want to use them on will recognize the drives. Since each drive has its own array, you wont lose the 40 gigs you would if you configured both drives in a single array.

Al

Last edited:
Ok, went dumb for a moment. I'll try that later tonight, after work. Thanks for the help, and I'll try to actually read in the future and not just wait to type.

orion25 said:
Ok, went dumb for a moment. I'll try that later tonight, after work. Thanks for the help, and I'll try to actually read in the future and not just wait to type.

No Prob, happens to all of us once in a while;)

Good Luck.

Al

Back