• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Heatsinks for Radeon 8500LE

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DeathAngelLST

i bought Thermaltake's DDR SDRAM heatsinks for my Sapphire Radeon 8500LE. i need to know if i need that arctic silver thing too and how to use it?

You can't use artic silver on heatsinks. Artic silver will not hold it down. I believe you are thinking about Artic Alumina. That is thermal expoxy and you apply in the same manner that you would as artic silver.

Actic silver and artic alumina are NOT epoxies. Neither are.
However there are epoxy versions of each. Which I believe is what he was referring to.

http://www.arcticsilver.com/adhesive_instructions.htm

Be careful it's capacitive. You can use arctic alumina epoxy. But despite what they say, I still wouldn't go smearing it on the pcb or anything just to be on the safe side. I recommend whatever you use, that you masking tape of ANYTHING that might short within an inch or so of where you are applying.

aight let me see if i got it right.. AS3 for CPU and adhesive for heatsinks on video card? or i can use AS3 for both CPU and HS on VC?
excuse my n00bness

AS3 on cpu. ASA (arctic silver adhesive) on video card memory

Arctic alumina is the same

Arctic alumina on cpu. Arctic Alumina adhesivveone video card memory.

Also, once you apply these. They are stuck for good. They wont come off. Some people prefer to use the NONadhesive arctic silver in the middle or the ramchip with dabs of everyday superglue at the corners to hold the heatsink on, that way the heatsink can be removed.

Lithan said:
AS3 on cpu. ASA (arctic silver adhesive) on video card memory

Arctic alumina is the same

Arctic alumina on cpu. Arctic Alumina adhesivveone video card memory.

Also, once you apply these. They are stuck for good. They wont come off. Some people prefer to use the NONadhesive arctic silver in the middle or the ramchip with dabs of everyday superglue at the corners to hold the heatsink on, that way the heatsink can be removed.
actaully they can be removed, you just stick em in a ziplock and throw them in the freezer for a coulple hours and at a sertain low temp the bond of the epox breaks down, and it is best to use arctic alumina epoxy on vid cards becaus its ceramic based so it cant conduct electricity

Back