• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How hot is too hot

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Alto2x

Registered
I just build an Athlon xp 2000+ on a K7n2 Nforce2 board and currently have to the FSB at 133... im running at about 52-56.C cpu temp. Is that too hott or not...

what should the FSB be... im running the chip with a Volcano 7+

Thanks

That's pretty hot for an upgraded cooler. Do you have airflow in the case? If so, how many fans, what are their specs (CFM), and what are they doing (Intaking or exhausting)?

What kind of thermal paste are you using?

Im not sure.. I got it done at my local dealer.. Im running with a 350 watt powersupply with 2 fans 1 intake and one over the processor.... its an enermax...

and i have an 80mm fan at the back of the case... for input i have a grill cut out just under the motherboard on the side of the case.

thermal paste i have no clue...

I wouldn't be suprised if they used a thermal pad. I would recommend getting some AS3. Apply a very thin layer and then re-mount the heatsink.

Yeh, I think airflow and thermal paste could be a problem.

I know for a fact that Ontario is real cold - Today it was - 36 CELIUS so your case at 33 degrees has some serious ventilation issues. Try to have at least 50cfm intaking and 50cfm exhausting. Make sure your fans are blowing in the right direction (On the bottom it should be blowing in and on the top it should be blowing out).

Hot air rises while cold air is on the bottom.

My 1600 XP just runs hot. I cannot get it to cool...80mm intake, AC3, HS.fan... I can take the side panle off and put a windows fan in front of it.. it's still hot. 53-58 I think some chips are just prone to run hot.

My 1600 ran at 36C idle when I put it in. I've now got that down to 36C LOAD :D. oh, case temp is 33C ;).

aaand I have a crap aluminum heatsink that I got for 10 bux.

Do u think installing a blowhole would help...

Im going to try and run the system with one side panel off and see what happens.... the guy who set it up for me said that he ran it with the pannel of and it ran at about 40-50 better then 50-60

I may have to mod my case a little and get some more air flow

I have a 1600 as well, and a volcano 6. I modded my heatsink and it now has dual fans.also, i modded my cheepo case and have 2 inflow and 4 outflow fans(80mm+). Even at that it runs at 55c at coolest.(wierd thing is, the heatsink feels roomtemp)

I took the side pannel off to see if the temp would drop and it did a little... the case temp hit 32 on idel and the cpu it 52 steady on idel....

what i need to know is how hot is too hot... how hot can my processor get befor it burns out on me...

and the amd's are tuff chips. I was messin around with the fans in my case, and had em all unplugged. I went to school and my dog musta turned it on, but it was scorchin when i got back( bios read 90c, prob highest it could display. It had been like that for a while, and it still runs fine.

Also, before i modded my case, to cool it, i took both side pannels off, and i had a fan the exact size of my computer right next to it(one of those walmart box-fans). My whole sys ran it room temp(save the cpu,55c)

I tryed to lower the FSB on my system and got it down to 100 :-(
the system still runs at the same temp. what gives... I took the pannels off... not much change... i change the cpu fsb nothing....
i cant understand this...

My volcano is set to full speed.... my rig sounds like a hot rod... but why is it soo hot...

could the location of the tower have anything to do with it.... its under my desk lifted off the ground with a riser...

Well, i have to turn on a jackhammer not to hear my system, lol, and the temps dont seem to change. But, you should try touchin the heatsink while its runnin,after 20 min or so, and tell me if its hot. 50c should feel pretty hot.

Also, if u ever want a good oc, try Easytune4, it may be compatible for your mobo. You can overclock from windows.in windows, ive gotten 160fsb. its gettin in that matters.

eh, Yuriman. you may want to watch the spams...

And 50C should be hot to the touch. if it isn't, check the mounting of the hsf.

Back