• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

cheap cpu for grandparents computer

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JazztrumpetJND

my grandparents have been using a 266mhz something or other for a very long time. and i was just wondering what cheap amd processor would be a good choice. they dont do much other than get email and word processing and solataire. what would be a reasonable upgrade?? 1ghz duron??

--jason

I don't know if you can buy 1GHz Duron's anymore,
half the shops over here don't sell Duron's anymore,

I bought a 1.3 Duron yestrday for real cheap, but it's a pain to unlock,

but if it's gonna be used only for email etc, then you probably don't need to unlock it at all,

with a 1GHz Duron you can run any windows fine, as long as you have enough RAM

For word processing, small games, applications, a Duron is plenty enough for that.

Newegg I believe still has Duron's in the 1Ghz range. I had purchased a 950mhz Duron a couple weeks back for this same sort of computer.

Pair that up with 256mb PC100 SDRAM, a decent motherboard, and you're in business...

The Duron's are the perfect CPU for that sort of system.

Actually it doesn't sound like they need an upgrade at all. A 266Mhz machine should do what they need for a few more years probably. Heck I was doing photoshop work and video editing on a K6 300 just a few years ago.

probably another stick of RAM and a reinstall of windows wouldn't hurt if their machine is getting a bit sluggish

Yeah, a 266 MHz chip means that it's on an old mobo too... You'd need a whole mobo-cpu-ram swapout. You may as well build them a whole new machine with bargain basement stuff, you could probably do it for like $300 or less depending on what's salvagable from the current machine.

--Illah

o ya im looking to make a whole new compute for them. i was just wondering what would be a good cheap processor. ill probably go with the 1-1.3 duron which ever is cheaper.

--jason

I'd pick the 1700+ T-Bred (1.46 GHz) for 50 bucks at Newegg.com

Illah is right. In order to just upgrade your CPU you also need: A new motherboard, ram, case, and powersupply.

Not to mention they're most likely running really old drives so I would just trash that old system and invest in a completely new one.

Yodums

I know you don't want to hear this but the $569 Dell deal (with free shipping) is pretty good for this kind of application right now. I have found that unless you live in the household to maintain the PC, when they screw it up (which they inevitably will) they will expect you to fix it. I have built PC's for many people who couldn't afford a storebought PC at the time because I could build something cheaper. With these new Dell/Gateway deals you really can't beat their prices.

I, personally, would rather just dish off the tech support on Dell. A 2 GHz Celeron, to them, is fast enough.

Back