• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

fan q for a ax-478

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

antist@r

Registered
i am about to pick up an ax-478 for my 1.6 should i get a tornado and v7 mod it or pick up a smartfan II? these 2 seem like a cople of the best choises out there but i will ake other suggestion also.
thanks.

the smart fan is loud too eh. if you use the controller then you will be fine. i had the smart fan and i had it running full out and it had a more distinct whine. could be me, or how it sounded in my box.

You don't really need that powerful of a fan for the AX-478. Any 35-53cfm 80mm fan is enough. While it certainly will work, there isn't a pressing reason to buy a hugely powerful fan just to slow it back down to reality. I suggest a 35-40cfm Panaflo or Sunon fan, running full blast.

Horse pucky. The AX-478 is one of the best performing P4 heatsinks available. And while there was a run with faulting soldering, the problem was very limited. You can find faulty examples of anything, this does not mean the AX-478 is not a good product. The AX-7 and AX-478 are both being replaced, but many users here can attest they are great heatsinks that will serve you well.

hummm...... some dont know what their talking about......
Mainly because THEY DONT SOLDER the hs. Infact, i bet with a MCX 4000 by swiftech, you could get 40-44c temps load, with a 37cfm fan, even lower with a higher cfm fan~

I have the AX-478 with a 39cfm 26dbA:) fan. I also have a duct going from a similar fan blowing air into the case from the side to the cpu fan. My temps right now are 27c idle/33c load. It goes up to 35c under heavy prime95 for a few hours load.

The Spyder said:
hummm...... some dont know what their talking about......

No, you certainly don't. I have an AX-478 in front of me as we speak, and it is definately soldered together. Perhaps you might buy a clue.

The swiftech is also a great heatsink, but will only yield a degree better temps and costs nearly twice as much, in addition to being a pain to install..

"The AX-478 is the most "standard" heatsink of the bunch, as it's got a thick copper core soldered to a set of tall aluminum fins that a large 80mm fan attached on top. The cooler is quite heavy, thanks to the heavy copper base, but thanks to outfitting the cooler with aluminum fins..."

reference

thanks for all the suggestions. the ax-478 looked the best to me beacause of price/ease of assembly compared to performance. the high end air coolers out there all seem to be pretty similar in performance.

for overclocked P4s the AX478 doesn't work well with low cfm fans

i've tried AX478 with

80x25mm sunon 50cfm fans
80x25mm TT smartfan 2 75cfm
80x38mm delta 80cfm

only delta will works well with my p4s

i.e.

running 2 pcs in the same room
==============================
2.4B SL6EF 19/12/02 with GlacialTech Igloo4300 + 70to80mm adaptor + 80x38mm delta 80cfm fan
@2880 at 1.675v
P4PE 1002 bios
under load
cpu: 50-52C
mb: 30-32C

idle cpu: 39C
idle mb: 28-30C
==============================
2.4B SL6D7 9/12/02 with AX478 + 80x38mm delta 80cfm fan
@2880 at 1.675v
P4B533 1014 beta bios
under load