• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best way to remove an epoxied-on GPU HSF?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

strokeside

I need to remove my old HSF from my graphics card, as it is not doing a good job. but the HS is glued on with some sort of glue/epoxy.
I have heard of putting the card in a sealed bag and then into a freezer, leaving it overnight, and then the next day, take it out and try to take off the HS, as the glue/epoxy becomes brittle with the cold. Does this work?
Is there any other way?
If I break this card I am screwed for a while, so only ideas that are kinda safe.
thanks,
s.

I've removed a few hsf's that way but it's not necessary to leave the card in the freezer so long.

Just pop the card into an anti-stat bag, stick it in the freezer for about 10-15 minutes. Pull it out, put a credit card/license/id card on the pcboard right up against the gpu but under the heatsink (to protect the pcb from your tools). Take a flat-head screwdriver between the hsf and card and turn it. The heatsink should pop off after a sickening crunch. You may need to lap the gpu to get all of the residual epoxy off. Do this very very carefully with fine grit papers. I had to do this with one of my 3 cards, with the other two all of the epoxy stuck to the hsf.

I've successfully done this on an old Rage128 Pro, Radeon DDR and Radeon 7500 with no bad effects.

just use a blow dryer, simple enuff, card wont burst into flames or anything -- much quicker too, just give it about 15 seconds and it slides right off. no cracking involved :p

i did it to 2 radeon 8500 just with the twist of a driver not heating or freezing but the sec. one i did i almost broke one of the little fuses or resistors what ever the little retangle things are that you can barly see so what the placement of the driver my $0.02

Check around at any good electronic store and you should be able to find a can of freeze Its used for testing electronic componants ..I think Radio shack carrys it :)

Thanks, I will try the Id card as protection and then use flathead screw driver. If that does not work, I will use the freeze on it, and if that doesn't work, it's hairdryer time.
thanks,
s.

you can always use acetone. it wont damage the chip and it will eat the epoxy. don't know if its healthy for the pcb though. i did it to some old p200's that had the HS glued on

worked great

Back