• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

psu to power hdd's

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Crash893

"The man in black fled across the desert,
if you had like 8 or 9 old hdd's like 500 megs

what wattage psu would you need to power them all at the same time

( nothing else will be attached to the psu but the hdd)

350w for the safe side...

plus get PSU IDE power extension cable from directron.com for $2 each.. 1 cable expend to hook up 3 hds

I imagine 350-410w' would be good enough for it, and get some of those psu ide extenders from directron like hacgumyu said, you could probably get all of em to work with an antec 430w TruePower, or you could wait....for what was the newest antec psu....grr i forgot...anywho they are supposed to be pretty damn good and i imagine an email/pm to AntecRep wouldnt hurt for more information upon there newest PSU coming out

im trying to do this on the cheap

i have run 5 or 6 2GB SCSI HDD's from a 250Watt PSU in a 21Drive RAID :D. It was short term, but it worked. Only had Harddrives connected, and nothing else....

Get the total wattage from the +12 and +5 and make sure you have enough watts to provide about 30-40watts for each drive and you should be fine. just rember to leave a little headroom as to not blow the PSU.

the best/cheapest bet would be to grab 2 DIRT CHEAP 250Watt AT PSU's and run them in pair. 4 hardrives per PSU....
Or 1 400Watt PSU would work, but they are a little pricy.

But may i ask What you are doing this for? 500MB hardrives are pretty hearting. They make bigger ZIP drives than that now.

okay cool thanks

what about a cdrom do you think that would take up more wattage

ROMs take almost no power at all when they idle, only when they are working do they need any juice...
And a ROM will be using less power than a HDD, so if you go for 2 AT PSU's, just slap the ROM on the PSU with the least amount of HDD's and you should be fine....

You never did say what you are doing with all the drives. Is this some kind of old getto RAID?

no i just have a bunch of hdds laying around
not doing anything

and that for some reason just drives me insane
so i got two ide cards ( pci)

so im going to have them do something

or at least see if they still work first if not im geting the magnest out of them and makeing death rings like in the moive preditor 2

i also got some extra cdroms laying around that i might just load stuff into and access it from my main rig up stairs

Back