• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

celeron question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JazztrumpetJND

do all the new p4 boards work with something like a 1.7ghz celeron. i am think about making a cheap system for a family member but have never worked with a celeron. any info would help alot.

thx
--jason

cursor said:
You need to check if the 1.7 cellie is a socket 423 or a socket 478. According to this intel site: http://www.intel.com/support/processors/celeron/

the 1.7 is a socket 478, so it will work with any socket 478 board. Hope this helps.

They never made 1.7 Celerons in the socket 423 flavor, they came around long after Intel stopped producing that. It should work with any of the newer mobos out there.

My advice would be to look at one of the 2GHz Celerons though, the 1.7's and 1.8's were based on the .18u Willamette core and were dogs. The 2.0 isn't much better as they added no cache to the model compared to the earlier Willamette Celerons, but at least it has the .13u Northwood core so it might be a tad more efficent clock for clock than a 1.7/1.8 and will most likely be a bit easier to cool.

That's just my $0.02 though.

Back