• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

The scenario everyone dreads....

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

David

Forums Super Moderator
Last night, I was on my computer (not a rarity lol). I had some music playing and was writing an email and browsing the internet. I then decided that now my new hard disk was installed and working fine (now have two Seagate Barracuda ATAIV drives, each 40Gig) that I could put the case sides back on. The first one, on the right hand side of the case went on fine. The second one went on, but then the computer stopped. Just died. So I took the side off again and tried to press the button to turn the PC on. Nothing. So then I thought I might have nudged the power cord out while putting the case side on. So I took the power cord out the back of the PC, and put it back in....

Fzzap...pop.....and a wift of white smoke and a strong smell of burning.... Oh dear :(.

I have an MSI D-Led thingy in my PC. It plugs into the mobo and has USB and some diagnostic LEDs. This is meant to sit at the back of the case, in an empty PCI slot, but I had it sitting on the floor of the case, with the wire hanging out a bit. I think maybe when I put the side on, the metal bit may have touched the power/reset pins and shorted them, or one of the LED/etc pins. This would probably have caused the PC to turn off. My PC is set to turn on if power is removed, then restored. Basically so it will start up again itself after a power cut. I think when I plugged the cord back in, with a few of the pins still shorted, I kinda blew ythe PSU.

I am not going to use the PSU again, I dont trust it. I am going to borrow a friends 550W PSU (his PC is down just now, waiting for a replacement mobo and CPU after his blew) to see what else has been damaged. I really cant afford to replace the whole thing. The case should be OK, but the graphics card would be £100 to replace, each CPU £50 each, and the board over £150 to get another 760MPx mobo. As for the ram, thats £90 of good RAM potentially dead.

I will post later to let you know what has survived. Hopefully at least the board, one CPU, vcard and one HDD will still work.

I heard about when the server PSU blew on the dual XP1800 system, and knocked out most of the components.... I just hope it hasnt happened to me :(

David
(Posting from a POS Celly433/64MB at school)

I had a similar situation one month before with my computer.Only the PSU was damaged.I hope the same for you.

Sorry to hear about your loss :(

I agree that you shouldn't try out that PSU again. I've seen cases of PSUs taking other components with them, and you don't want to take any more chances with it.

Phew. Only the PSU is dead, everything else is OK. I am borrowing a friends 550W PSU and I have a 550W on its way to me.

David

Back