• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

File Server

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Willo

Registered
Hi I wanna build a second cheap pc from the spare stuff I've got, now will I need to buy another monitor???

Thanks Will

i take it you want a file server to have a central location to store stuff?

if so, then you can build the machine, use the monitor to get it set up on the network with your other machine, then hook the monitor back up to your original computer and the server will still be accessible, via the network .

Another option once the machine is set up is VNC or similar software.

Many of us on the Seti and Folding Teams use it to monitor "Farms."

VNC sets up a remote operation server on the Server PC and you then use the client software to access the server over the network.
Works with Windows, Linux and Mac off the top of my head- I've set up all three.

It is not as good as a KVM in some respects- delays redrawing the screen, occasionally disconnects in the middle of something.
In some ways it is better: physical location does not matter- as long as you can connect over a network it will work.

I would just grab a cheap 15" monitor from a thrift shop.

As much as I love VNC its slow... there is nothing like teh convienence of scooting over a few feet and immediately fix a problem without having to worry if your double click was recognized by the server.

my $.02

My setup is truthfully very simple.

I hooked up my monitor to the server, and installed and so forth, and then disconnected, and connected to my main rig. After that, using WINXP - Remote Connect, you can litterally use your screen as if you are on that computer.... you can do this remote hookup using cable/dsl/lan/wan/56k/18k/.00000001k(would highly doubt...... but believeable nowadays)

I presume you use Windows on this, otherwise, you will need to find another prog. WINXP pro handles this fine, because i run a games server for my counter-strike clan (SCJ)....

Hope you get things running.

if your two computers are right next to each other, you might want to consider a kvm switch.
since you say its for a fileserver, this seems less likely. In that case a VNC program would probably be the best. heres a link to a download from download.com:
http://download.com.com/3000-2085-8591703.html?tag=lst-0-2
i have not personally tested this specific one but im going to set it up right now on my folding comps that dont have monitors, so i will let you know how it works.

willo, that client works just fine if you want to use it. its pretty easy to set up too.
good luck with your fileserver.
when you get it built put it to work folding :)

The two rigs will be in the same room, just I'e got a lot of divx movies and tv shows(70Gb), music videos(5Gb), and mp3's(8Gb) and OS(WinXP Pro) + apps and games(18Gb).

I have a full tower case with 4HDD's in and there's cables everywhere the ventilation must be vertually nil!!!:mad:

So I want the main system to have one 40Gb drive so I can overclock the SOB and add moe games etc, then the 3 remaining drives plus the 120Gb drive I've just ordered can go into the server.

Oh and thanks for the links and advice:D
VNC looks Cool!;)

Will

Back