• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How long do you let prime95 run to know it's stable?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Tipycol

Do you let it complete the 1024K test? Or till all the 768K tests are passed? I'm just curious how long you wait (not counting real-life testing with games or anything) before you yourself consider it stable with Prime?

Suma said:
TheGame240, aren't you over reacting?
I would consider 5-6 hrs enough :)

You would be surprised how many "stable" overclocks will fail that test around the 10-12 hour mark. It may be a bit of overkill, but I know my system is as stable as a Windows based PC gets.

Hmm, so you think I should run it around 12-24 hours? Do you always do this with 3DMark running? I know I can keep Prime running that long, but I'll probably be using the computer sometime during testing.

I've had a machine fail Prime95 after 22 hours. I lowered the memory clock a bit and then it was able to pass 36 hours. Usually I wouldn't really test it that long, but this was a machine that I put together for a friend so I wanted to make certain that it was 100% stable.

BTW, my primary box can pass prime no problem with the memory timings set as aggressively as possible, and the memory voltage at 2.85v. It crashes during the cpu tests in 3DMark03 if I leave it like that though. Maybe the 3DMark03 test is actually more intense than prime95?

Back