• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Burning In Question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kfunk

How long should I burn my cpu in before I overclock some more?

Do you start lowest volt stable setting, burn in, and up gradually or start highest everything and burn in?

Last edited:
For most of us, burning isn't really timed. Some of us do it as a hobby by Folding for Folding@home which helps cure cancer or crunch SETI which searches for extra terrestrial intelligence.

However, if you use something like Prime95, just do whenever and try for more etc.

If you're only do it to see how far you can overclock, use that method until you hit a wall in terms of overclocking and then you should do something like burn in overtime with Folding and you'll see results over time.

Sorry if that sounded confusing. If you have questions, just ask.

Ill post the same thing i did in another thread:

Its best to use a range of programs that stress all components of your system. Many people will use a combination of Prime95, F@H, Seti, 3Dmark2001SE, and SuperPI to burn in their systems. Burning in can take days to weeks depending on how long you want to stress your system and gradually up the core speed, FSB, or lower your voltage at a given speed. Burning in works by keeping your system at a high stress rate at all times and therefore keeping all the electical components at maximum capacity. Because the majority of metals that are used in these components expand with high electrical currents running through them the theory is that lengthy stressing can expand the capacity of these circuits to hold current at higher levels than normal due to the stressing of them (ie the expansion of them). I think thats about as simple as i can explain it.

Hope that helps.

summed it up pretty good there Michfan.
should read the burn in sticky about burning in located in the 'Memory' area

Yodums said:
For most of us, burning isn't really timed. Some of us do it as a hobby by Folding for Folding@home which helps cure cancer or crunch SETI which searches for extra terrestrial intelligence.

However, if you use something like Prime95, just do whenever and try for more etc.

If you're only do it to see how far you can overclock, use that method until you hit a wall in terms of overclocking and then you should do something like burn in overtime with Folding and you'll see results over time.

Sorry if that sounded confusing. If you have questions, just ask.

Thanks for your info.

kfunk said:
How long should I burn my cpu in before I overclock some more?

the longer, the better. i used to fold all the time, and my xp1600 which would boot unstable at about 1900 mhz, was booting stable at 1974mhz, and unstable at 2037mhz. this was after months of folding, and other benchies, and regular use.

kfunk said:
Do you start lowest volt stable setting, burn in, and up gradually or start highest everything and burn in?

i was told to use stock speed, and turn the vcore up to max.......this was on my other board which had a max vcore of 1.85. now with a board like my max2, which has a max vcore of 2.325, i wouldn't go to the max. well, "i"would, but i wouldn't tell you to do it....he he he .

i would personally go to 1.95 vcore on a pally, and a bit lower for a t-bred maybe 1.8 or so. that's because the t-breds stock vcore is lower, and i don't own a t-bred yet, but i have read stuff about them being sensitive to higher voltage. i don't know for sure, but i would be careful til i get one of my own to fry/burn in...lol.

i would also like to say, that no benchie, or stress sest is going to imitate every day use, so, don't be afraid to run prime95, while folding, and still surf the web, and play music and stuff. use the pc, while burning it in. if you can't, it's not stable.

good luck frying.....i mean burning in.....he he he

;) :D

Re: Re: Burning In Question

madsam said:

i would also like to say, that no benchie, or stress sest is going to imitate every day use, so, don't be afraid to run prime95, while folding, and still surf the web, and play music and stuff. use the pc, while burning it in. if you can't, it's not stable.

good luck frying.....i mean burning in.....he he he

;) :D

I was just about to ask if I should use only one program or use more than one at the same time while browsing web, music, etc. But you already answer that for me. :)

Back