• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

vid card advice

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

cornbread

I need a new vid card, but nothing that is top of the line, no way am I going to pay 300+ bucks for a new card. Right now I have a g4 mx card in my new computer, but it needs to be replaced. Could you guys give me some pointers and advice on some good cards between 100-200 bucks.

btw is the ati 9000 pro 128mb a good card?

Thanks guys :)

first look here:
http://oc3dmark.octeam.com/cardguide.html

The 9000Pro is a pretty good video card for the price. However there are strong possibilities that you could get either and 8500 (128mb)or Ti4200 (64mb) for the same price. The problem with the 8500 is that you would have to find a reseller that guarantees at least 250/250 operation. And with the Ti4200 theyre only 100$ after rebates. After the 4200(64) I dont think the 4200 128mb is worth 150$. You could get a 9500 non pro(which only has 4 pipelines compared to the 9500Pro's 8) and try the soft 9700 mod, or you could spend a bit more and get a 9500Pro which is far superior to all these listed.

beween 100 - 200, the best card to go for imo is the 9500 Pro. I absolutly love mine, and playing games with 4x AA and 16x AF is absolutly beautiful

Evnas said:
beween 100 - 200, the best card to go for imo is the 9500 Pro. I absolutly love mine, and playing games with 4x AA and 16x AF is absolutly beautiful

I have to agree the 9500 Pro is by far the best buy out of them all in that price range. I think the Sapphire Brand is going for $190 on newegg right now.

Evnas said:

is that you, the sexy woman in you avatar?:D

jk

Although the MX is a bit dated, I'd keep it for alittle while longer if I were you. It can't be more than a year old, can it?

If you can't resist that urge to upgrade, the R9500PRO is w/out a doubt the best GPU under $200

:)

Well the MX itself is a year old at most, the technology its based on (Geforce2) came out almost 3 years ago

I aware it's a DX7 card, I just hate seeing people buy new every year, trying to save money by buying cheap stuff that doesn't last.....

It's a shame that a card just introduced last year is already outdated.........:(

Thanks guys for the very good advice!

FunnyPerson, for some reason the link you posted is not working, not sure if its just me or the link?

Thanks

Back