• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Things just got BAD... REALLY BAD...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Vedder323

Im not sure if I can be helped on this one. I thought it would be a cool idea to buy some wire wrap and toss it on my power supply cables. I started by doing a couple fans and things went smooth. So, I decided to do the cable that connects my 9700pro to my Hard drive. I carefully took off the ends, covered the wires with the wrap and then used shrink wrap on the ends of the sleeving. It looked cool. However, I think I screwed things up. As soon as I connected everything, I turned on my comp and my Hard drive doesnt spin... no nothing. My debugger is showing "reserved." I think im fooked for good on this one.

reset bios.
and if that don work take it back apart what you just did and redo it. every part you touched or unplugged just retrace your steps like you lost your keys.

sounds really stupid but many times this has helped me with stupid gremlins that wanna **** me off :D

yeah... im in the process of doing so. Im wondering, if I crossed a wire by accident, could it have ruined my hard drive?

id say no.as there is no way knowing until you get done and discouraging thoughts dont help :)

you know the answer as well as i do tho.but most likley crossed wires ans the such dont usually couse trouble if cought.usually stuff wont turn on to go bad in the first place so i have faith you will be back here in an hour saying WOOHOOO ITS FIXED! lol GL man!

Well my friend... it looks as if the Friendly Gods are not so happy with me. I pulled the HD out and popped it in another sydtem... No go. Damn!

That blows Vedder... did you find out what happened by any chance?

Yomama said:
You may have mixed the 5V and the 12V leads - not a good idea (happened to me a few years ago :rolleyes: ). Is the drive still under warranty?
I agree, that's what these symptoms suggest to me as well. To be clear, you unplugged the power leads going into the Radeon power plug, right? Did you also touch the leads going into the 4-pin plug on the drive? Just trying to think of how to isolate the polarity reversal, if there is one.

Im not sure what the hell I did, im really ****ed off that I messed up. The drive is under warranty and is already sent in. To clarify what I did... I used the floppy cable that came with 9700pro. It has a floppy power connector and a 4 pin to a Hard drive. It looks like I switched a positive and a negative around on it. I will have to post picks and maybe someone can lemme know what I did wrong. I assume that switching the 2 black cables is no biggie, is that true? I must have switched the outer "color" cables. Anyhow, thank god my 9700pro is ok. I will post picks asap. TY everyone...

Alot of electronic gear use a diode to stop reverse voltage ( plugging in the wrong way- reverse polarity), I have seen those pop from this, and have also replaced the diodes and all was well.. that being said I am NOT sure that is what happened to you.

Tough Break Vedder

The only thing I have noticed is on each of the 4 pin connectors, there is the letters 1,2,3,4. It is hard to see in the pics but I switched the yellow and red around (I think) On one side, yellow is on 1 and red on 4... on the other, red is on one and yellow is on 4.

I'm not sure I get it, but it SOUNDS like you switched the 12v with the 5v...
Red is 5v yellow is 12v ( in respect to ground/black), and if you had 12v going into something that is designed for 5v you probably burnt it out by running it at over 2x the voltage.

yep you switched the 5 and 12v

the correct order is:
pin 1 should be 12v Yellow
pin 2 should be ground Black
pin 3 should be ground Black
pin 4 should be 5v Red

i can tell from you pics that you have the 5v and 12v reversed (even tho i cant see the numbers...) because of the raised bar on the top left of the connector in pic 2... The bar is kinda a reminder that 12v goes on the left of it it seperates the 12v from the 2 grounds and the 5v line...

a little tip is to get a permanent marker and put a dot on the connector where the 12v line is and on the 12v (yellow) wire so you cant mess it up and always double check your work...

I hope you get your harddrive fixed well at least it wasnt you radeon 9700:eek:...

Vedder323 said:
That helps alot... so, for future reference... Black can be switched, right?
yes they can

refer to my previous post for this to make any sense:
you can perform an easy check (in this case) by looping the connector back into itself i get a pic explaining a bit better in a few mins...

Back