• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Aargh, I can't wait for Friday night to get here.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

No, I showered
I've ordered my upgrades. They should all be here Thursday except for my Arctic Silver 3 which will be here Friday. So I'm going to try to run out to my apt office during lunch Friday and pick up the packages.

I'll be going from a Tbird@1450 using PC133 to an tbred running at 2300 or so with dual channel pc2700. Should be a nice little improvement. I'm quite excited. Even though I spent way more than I should.

All told, I'm getting

-Tbred that will run at 2350 or so stable, though I may have to back it off from that since I'm not willing to but an exteremely noisy fan in there (from my friend who upgraded b/c 2350 wasn't fast enough for him)
-2 sticks of Samsung original PC2700 (Newegg)
-8RDA+ MB (Mwave)
-SK-7 (SVC)
-2 UV reactive fans (SVC)
-2 UV cold cathodes (SVC)
-1 tube Arctic Alumina (SVC ordered that when I called in to add it to my order. I specified AS3, but they ordered that. So they sent me a tube of the AS3 free of charge).

All in all, I'm quite excited. I'm probably going to order myself another CPU at some point to build a HTPC, or maybe one for my bedroom. The old CPU is going to the ex since it's technically hers anyways. I stole hers when I burned mine up due to a poorly seated Alpha 8045.

Woo hoo. Everything is going to be here today. All four packages are on the trucks to be delivered. I've got my friend going by the apt office this afternoon to get my stuff and put it in the apartment and swap out the CPUs.

Now, only 6 more hours and I can go home. Just a few things to back up first, then it's reinstall time! Well, okay, I'll do the hardware upgrades THEN reinstall time. Cause, you know, it's not like I don't get enough reinstalls here at work. :)

Well, I have a rather different friday night planned, but getting in parts is always fun. Have fun putting it together.

Spending friday night building a computer??!?!

Hey we got a new member to the geek club! Welcome friend :)

Nothing wrong with staying in on Friday nights. Going out every Friday night gets boring and so is staying in every Friday night. A balance is always good.

LOL. It won't be the first time I've spent Friday or Sat night at home working on my computer.

I got it up and running. I think it's running around 2100 MHz right now. If it passes that, I'm going to push it harder this evening.

I DID manage to kill my CDROM. I installed some LEDs in it because the tray is translucent and they'd shine through. Doesn't work very well though and now the drive keeps the system from booting, kills the IDE channel. I think (I HOPE) that it's just that the LEDs are sitting on the back of the PCB and shorting something out (there's nothing much on the back, but that may be what's happening). So I'm going to try putting some tape under the LEDs, as well as aim them more towards the front of the drive so it shines out better.

Of course, I did briefly give some thought to putting my old drive into the box the new one came in and taking it back. The store would almost certainly never know since they look pretty much identical...But I don't think I will. That would be dishonest. But I probably WILL take the drive back if I can get it to work.

BTW, anybody know how to get the bezel off the front so that it can be painted? I can open the drive and all, but the bezel is still hung up on the drawer.

Of course, I did briefly give some thought to putting my old drive into the box the new one came in and taking it back. The store would almost certainly never know since they look pretty much identical...

me/ Get's out my trusty whupping stick **Cough** OEM **Cough**!!

But I don't think I will. That would be dishonest.

me/ uses it to scratch my back- Ahh, thats better

BTW, anybody know how to get the bezel off the front so that it can be painted? I can open the drive and all, but the bezel is still hung up on the drawer.

Open the draw, and take a look on the underside of the bezle- there should be a small plastic flap/catch or some other holding device- the bezel should slide upwards (you WERE on about that part of the bezel wernt you)

Well, when I take the drive apart and open the drawer (or rather the other way around), I can get the bezel off the front of the drive. But it stays hung up around the tray. If I want to paint it (which I'd like to), I would need to to be able to pull it completly off the drive, unless I went with brush painting.

Back