• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Vid Card HeatSink.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Sn0rKy

how do you install vid card heatsinks onto the ram you got on your vid card.?
you need some kinda compound thats all i know.. what can i use?

...by putting the card into a plastic bag, then into the freezer
for 30 minutes, then you pry em off.

or you could use a blow dryer to soften up the adhesive

for ramsinks, don't use the AS3 epoxy .. they're conductor .. one slip and your card might goes dummy :D .. use arctic alumina thermal epoxy instead .. u can get it almost everywhere .. I got mine on svc.com (their shipping cost is the lowest - USPS priority mail $3.85)

Xevuhtess7 said:
is arctic alumina less um... "good" at conducting heat then as3 is?

exactly :) .. it's not as good conductor as silver (which AS3 is made from) .. arctic alumina uses aluminum as its' main thermal transfer material.

Heres some tipes from this article
http://www.overclockers.com/tips759/

Here's some tips for getting an IU cooler onto a Video card:

Buy some Arctic ALUMINA adhesive, and use it to affix the ramsinks and the Alpha 15u. Unlike Arctic Silver Adhesive, Arctic Alumina is ceramic-based and won't short out your card if you get it on your RAM pins by accident. Arctic ALUMINA Adhesive is also cheaper and cools just about as well.
Arctic Alumina dries very fast, so just mix what you can use for about 2-3 minutes.

When applying adhesive on your ramsinks, get some masking tape and tape the areas where you don't want the adhesive to go (i.e., the ram pins). Tape both sides of the ram chip (just on the pins).

Most importantly, PREP THE GPU AND RAM CHIPS AND RAMSINKS.
Go to the hardware/Walmart/any Auto Parts store and get 1000 or 1500 grit (1500 is best) silicone carbide sandpaper. Just rub each surface lightly to clean any foreign matter on it. Spray it with a can of compressed air and clean all the surfaces with alcohol. Then wipe it with a fine cloth.

When affixing, add pressure to the connection for a better fix, especially to the GPU. A clamp is best, but a big dictionary will work.
Good luck, and I hope you end up with as least as decent temps with these mods as I do.

Small drops of superglue on corners and thermal compound in the middle. Works great and you can take it off too.

I do not recommend Arctic Silver as it is conductive. When I installed heatsink on my cards GPU, somehow a small amount of AS got into the AGP connector. Two days it ran fine, but after that it locked up in few minutes when I booted in windows. Another boot only to find that in windows the screen is exactly the same when it locked up (it was messed too)! I thought my RAM was burned or something. Then I found the AS on the AGP connector and wiped it out. Lucky me the card came back to alive and works great.

I usually use super glue and as3, I'm too poor and lazy to order more silver crap just for ram sinks. As long as you're not a total moron you'll be fine witht that. A little as3 in the center and 4 drops of super glue.

I use diluted As3 epoxy, I make the epoxy and mix it with the cheap white thermal goop. It comes out a milky gray and has to be less conductive then regular old AS3. Also I tape off the ram pins just in case, and just use a little bit of epoxy too make sure it doesnt come bulging out the sides. Four video cards modded this way and none dead :)

Back