• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How do I use a PSU with no comp?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Looks like an AT power supply to me.
Is there a 4 wire cable for the switch?

hmmm, not sure... what would I be looking for? Besides the connectors showing, I have some floppy connectors and some regular molex connectors.

The switch wires usually consist of a blue, a brown, a black and a white wire.

Check the diagram on the box. You'll defintely want to connect them the right way.

you jumper the 4th and 6th pins on the atx connector. With pin side facing towards you and the renention clip on the atx connector facing upwards, you use a wire to connect pins 4 and 6 on the top row, starting from the left side. (koolance tells its users to do this to get the water cooling system primed before installing their cpu, etc. It will work on any atx powersupply)

You are looking for a separate black cable coming from the PSU, either with or without a switch attached. It should contain 4 or 5 wires; brown, blue, white, black, and possibly green. This normally attaches to an on/off switch that goes to the front of AT cases. It looks like this;

z_k_psswitch.jpg

If you find that cable you'll have to attach an AT switch to it. The PSU will fire right up. ATs don't normally need a power good signal from the motherboard.

Warning: The brown and blue leads to the remote power switch on an AT-style system carry live 110V (or 220V) AC power whenever the power supply is plugged in, even when the power is off! You should not work inside the computer with the power plugged in.
Warning: Switching the pairs of wires from one set of spade connectors to another will cause no problems as long as you exchange black with brown, and white with blue. However, if you accidentally make any other type of change, say, swapping black with blue and white with brown, the results will range from a blown fuse or circuit breaker, to smoke!

Back