• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

At&t broadband now Comcast

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TheNewGuy

Registered
Well, as many of you may now know, at&t broadband is now owned by comcast. I recently visited their website to obtain information about any future changes in regard to my cable modem service. Although i did find adequate info, i still dont know that much about the company. For those of you with comcast internet service, how would you rate it? have you had any problems or difficulties? I am considering switching to qwest dsl if the company appears to be shady, so any info/comments would help me alot. Thanks :)

Comcast is a good company. They're I believe the second largest cable company in the nation now, possibly the largest with having bought AT&T's cable division.

As an existing comcast customer, my rates actually went UP to match what you guys were paying (on the other hand, my upstream also doubled from 128k to 256k so it's not all bad).

I haven't had any real problems with the service. Well, I did have some bad latency problems at one point that they couldn't seem to fix. I finally sent a certified letter to the regional VP of tech support (nicely enough, he's located here in Nashville) along with a copy of the ping times I was encountering. It took them a couple of weeks, but they finally get it resolved nicely. Other than that, it's been good service. Stable, fast, good support. Other than the occasional hiccup, I've no complaints. I'd say give them a try. You can always change later.

Im glad to hear you like the service. So far, i have noticed no difference in the quality of the service. I drove by the old at&t building near my house, and there is now a comcast sign on the front door, so it looks like the change-over has started. Ill definitely keep my service for a few months to see how everything goes. Hopefully, there will be little to no problems, so i wont have to switch to DSL. Thanks for the info

I just got my bill from AT&T, which is now a Comcast bill. The quality of service hasn't declined a bit IMHO, so I have no problems with Comcast.

So far, everything seems to be the same, which is great!. As long as they dont increase my bill or take away some of the basic cable channels, im staying with them.

<------- hates comcast

they are good about... 300 days a year, the rest of the time they are either down, slow, or giving me the unplug your modem run around so yea... ok so my net was down for 2.5 weeks b4 they could get a guy out to me, thne 4 days later (not ****ting you) it goes out again for 2 days.. after many unplug your modem routines i get it fixed so now here i am 2 weeks after the last "incident" and if there is 1 more problem in the next year we're goign with earthlink dsl

Comcast bought the AT&T cable division like a year ago

also i dont care what they do as long as they dont lower my speeds and dont put a bandwidth cap on me and charge more

I'm glad this was posted. For the last months all my roomates can talk about is from going to comcast from AT&T broadband. I told them it would not matter and nothing would change. Looks like I was right in a way.

The way i figure it, they purchased at&t's network, which was upgraded when @home became at&t broadband( this was like a year or two ago i believe). I see no logical reason for them to make any major changes, which is good, because at&t has been decent in terms of performance and reliability.
I have about 60 channels with basic cable, plus hbo(which is crap; long story ;) ). It would be nice if they expanded my current package!
ps: anyone heard about this wide open west service coming??
75/month for 3Mbps download AND upload, plus something like 120 channels on digi. :eek: :eek: :eek:

Last edited:
Nope, haven't heard anything about it. Sounds like a deal though. They used to have a package with internet and digital cable for like $85-90/mo, about $5 or so more than what you paid for regular cable and internet.

I had att broadband, now comcast cable. I have seen no difference. I am satisfied.

IMHO, dsl has too many restrictions, like be <18000 feet from the CO to qualify. Even If you were between 7000-17999 feet, there would be a lot of lost packets and it would kill your speed and latency. Just a thought.

PatrickEHenry said:
I had att broadband, now comcast cable. I have seen no difference. I am satisfied.

IMHO, dsl has too many restrictions, like be <18000 feet from the CO to qualify. Even If you were between 7000-17999 feet, there would be a lot of lost packets and it would kill your speed and latency. Just a thought.

Not true. I had Telocity DSL where I used to live, cable modem wasn't available then). I was a bit over 15,000 feet from the CO. I was getting 1500/256 and had no problem with lost packets or anything.

I called them last week on an email issue and the service rep stated if you have an email address through ATT you will have to change it within next year. Sucks for small business owners.

I signed up under AT&T broadband as well, so I suppose the changeover to Comcast has occured. So far I have not had any problems with my connection, its as fast and stable as it has always been.

I just got this months cable bill and my internet service is now $10 more a month. This was also the frist bill I got with the Comcast name on it. I still got the same 2880/640 speed but the higher rates are not cool.

Back