• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help the koolest kid evar

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Namagomi

Disabled
Ok, so I'm plotting to upgrade my brothers computer over spring break. His motherboard (an EPoX 266+ board that I won in a contest) blew the hell up apparently, so I thought it was good as an excuse as any to get him a new motherboard (in this case, an nforce2-based Asus A7N8X Deluxe). Currently, his system will be configed with:

Early XP1600+ on a PAL8045 w/a 19cfm Papst fan
ASUS A7N8X Deluxe
(1)512mb stick of XMS2700C2
Gainward Geforce3Ti500 Golden Sample
OEM SB Audigy
2 60gig IBM 60GXPs in RAID 0

So, I was thinking, what would be the best upgrade for the kid? An XP2200 to replace that "old" 1600? Another 512 stick of 2700XMS to take advantage of dual channel? Or maybe a geforce4? I've been out of the hardware game for awhile, so I'm up in the air about it. What do you guys think?

My "inside sources" tell me that he dosn't play much in the way of resource hungry games (UT2k3 and the like), so I'm leaning toward another stick of ram over a CPU of video card upgrade. But of course, if he had a k-rad box, maybe he'd start playing more? :D

The video card upgrade doesn't make much sense. His present card is nearly as good as a GF4 and low priced cards are (supposedly) around the corner. More power at better prices.

You can improve on the CPU but why? 1600+ is a $45 processor 200+ is a $100 processor. Is 2000+ twice as good? Nope, it's 25% better, plus you already have the 1600+. Not a rational decision unless you enjoy passing presidents.

RAM, yeah you could get another stick but there are only a few games that utilize a GB system RAM. TO match your Corsair is going to be so expensive that you've got another small increase in power (the smallest you've mentioned) with a big pricetag.

Swap the mobo and spend your money on something you want. If it must be computer related, a new keyboard is usually welcome, or a big monitor - they're getting amazingly cheap. RF mouse?

LOL somehow some people marry their keybaords, exactly why I put "usually". Go figure :D

Lian Li?
DVD drive?

Back