• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

how can i change my win2k server admin psw?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

natopotato

how can i change my win2k server admin psw? i did not put one in when i installed it so how do i change it ? cant seem to find it

If you don't know it you can't change it. Not unless you know how to hack really well.

Can you logon to the system, if so, it will be under active directory users and computers, if you cannot logon, There are ways to do it, it just aint easy.

no no no u dont understand i have admin rights its juz there is no admin psw

so active dir ill look there

i juz need to find where to change it

EDIT!
i am on a work group and dont have active dir installed..... where else to look?

Movax said:
When you are logged in as admin, press CTRL-ALT-DEL, select 'change password'.

yup, that should do it for you... and why ctrl + alt + del? i believe windows has protection built in so if a program would be recording your keystrokes and sending them somewhere, it would not be able to record your password... so basically it's to keep your computer a little more secure...

mbentley said:

yup, that should do it for you... and why ctrl + alt + del? i believe windows has protection built in so if a program would be recording your keystrokes and sending them somewhere, it would not be able to record your password... so basically it's to keep your computer a little more secure...

It's how you log onto 2Kserver. It doesn't by default pop up the login screen. You have to hit CTRL - ALT- DEL, to log in. You can also set 2Kpro to do the same thing.

mbentley said:
why ctrl + alt + del?
Well, as most people know, there are two runmodes, User mode and Kernel mode. Most programs run in User mode, only certain programs run in Kernel mode -- drivers, for example, and a few programs.

When you press CTRL+ALT+DEL, a watchdog program in the kernel mode picks it up, and disconnects you from user mode. While you are in the security menu (or login menu, or chang password menu), anything you type or do is only seen/interpreted by the kernel mode programs. Specifically, WINLOGON.EXE. That is the program that accepts your username and password when you log on, or change password. That way, there is no way a key capture program would be able to pick up any keys after you press CTRL+ALT+DEL.

Then, your system will be secure from password-stealing programs. However, there are some hardware password-stealing devices which can be attached between the keyboard and the computer, that will still pick up passwords regardless.

nebben said:
Also, as a backup, at a run prompt, type "control userpasswords2" .

Nifty menu, also allows some different booting options.

-ben

Better syntax is (without the quotes) "control userpasswords"

That appears to work better :D (j/k)

Back