• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

OMG winxp is too frilly.... i want my 98se back!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

axhed

where is the quicklaunch bar???? i had 35 programs across that thing! this is going to take some getting used to.

XP is a fantastic operating system once you have it setup and tweaked to your liking.

As for the quicklaunch bar, right click the taskbar and select show quicklaunch :

quicklaunch.jpg

98se over xp pro, or 2k pro? you on drugs man? i used to be sold on 98 myself until i tried 2k pro .that was the day ocing was enjoyable again.i was reformatting sometimes 4-5 times a day.

im just warming upto xp pro.2kpro was getten to bland and i like some of xp pros features.

Yes, tweaking XP's visual options is key to being able to stand it... That and getting a skinning util like WindowBlinds or StyleXP.

Also, if you really want 98 back, there is a visual theme included with XP that "simulates" that old 9x feeling. Not quite the same, but should be close enough if you feel you have to have that UI back.

JigPu

I'd choose 2000 over XP any day..

And I'd choose basically ANY os over win95/98/Me.. even DOS was better than those.. :D

sirtoby said:
I'd choose 2000 over XP any day..

And I'd choose basically ANY os over win95/98/Me.. even DOS was better than those.. :D
my brother moved into my folks place a while while im here and has his pc with him.
seems everytime i walk by his compaq with ME on it an error is on the screen.i tried to help him install a keyboard and it locked up just accessing the A drive.

i keep offering to put 2k pro or xp pro on it for him and he just doesnt want to loose the features compaq has in the proprietary install has and loose his old stuff.its 1 1/2 years old and hes non pc litarit.i saw like 13 programs running in his task bar and felt sorry enough for him i gave him a stick of 128mb sdr to add to his 128mb.god i couldnt even stand useing that machine if i had to.

poor guy.
he also says he dont want me working on it as something might break or mess it up! now i dont know about you but i break tnt 4mb agp cards in 2 peices just couse its funny.i really dont but ya know what i mean? joe will be joe.

If you can't stand the WinXP visual stuff, just go for Win2k...it's WinXP Pro but less pretty, and less Wizards, lol.

Also like to point out that, Windows XP is more stable than Windows 2000 and 98SE......it starts faster. And if u want the look of Windows 98 just set the skin in windows to classic....simple.

nightowl said:
XP is a fantastic operating system once you have it setup and tweaked to your liking.

As for the quicklaunch bar, right click the taskbar and select show quicklaunch :

quicklaunch.jpg

How do you get windoze to look like that?

XP

You can go to control panel and choose the option on the left side for classic look. That same thing with the start menu, right click on task-bar & start menu, choose classic look, go to advanced and set for best performance. Then it will look for the most part like classic windows. After that you want to go into the control panel/ admin tools/ services and find a nice guide that tells you what you can disable. You'll want to shut off automatic updates and messenger for sure to close M$'s back-door into your system.

For excelsior, I don't buy it at all that xp is more stable than 2k. It APPEARS to boot faster, but what it actually does is get to the desktop faster and continue to load drivers in the background from there. Both are great OS's, but people seem to over-exagerrate the merits of XP over 2k. Win2k has more powerful networking options and XP took a step back in that department and added lots of bells and whistles and wizards. XP to 2k is analagous to comparing ME to 98, just that 2k is a much better basis for an OS and that's why XP doesn't suck the way ME does.

My big complaint with XP is the product activation which makes me call M$ when I change hardware (aka frequently). Also, I have to disable a bunch of crap when I first install it, more crap than I have to disable in 2k anyway... And when its all done, I basically have 2k.

Last edited:
2000Pro is a power-users OS.

XP has the same features, hidden beneath a user-friendly GUI. It took me 2 months to fully set up to my satisfaction (setting visual styles, stopping certain services, adding bits etc etc.....)

As for getting your windows to look different, there are thousands of visual styles out there to choose from. Change your boot screen (did I mention my Overclockers.com Boot Screens??;)), your login screen etc etc.

I have the OC.com boot screen, and a Mac OSX login screen and GUI (including Winamp skin)

Add custom icons, and you have a uniquely tailored OS (with only 5 items in the task bar - Internet Connection, Firewall, Speedfan and SETI Spy and Driver) It's no a wee sleekit, timirous cowering beastie any more:D

Excelsior said:
Also like to point out that, Windows XP is more stable than Windows 2000...

I would have to disagree with that. You do know that XP is built on the NT core found in Win2k. and Win XP is very bloated compared to Win2k.

i wasn't into the whole green/blue dealio so i just switched it to silver and now it has the whole metallic looky-feely about it. suh-weet

i wasn't into the whole green/blue dealio so i just switched it to silver and now it has the whole metallic looky-feely about it. suh-weet

Back