• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Artifacts on 7VRXP with high fsb

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Drago

Anyone with a similar setup had this problem?

7VRXP 2.0, Asus V7700 GF2 GTS Pure, DDR333 Samsung

If I set the fsb over 180 mhz, I begin to see some artifacts (they seem like underscores, several colors) on the screen, but only at the POST screen, later they all go away (ie windows boot). If I increase the fsb, the number of artifacts increase.

First I thought of agp bus frequency too high (90 mhz is much higher than the default 66 mhz), but I've been told these Asus's cards can go up to 100 mhz (one guy said he had even tested one of these at 100 mhz, this same guy told me the problem was the mobo itself).

Could it be the memory? Any ideas?

AGP and DDR voltages are 0.1v higher than the default (1.6v and 2.6v)

cheers

Just been thinking again, I had my VRXP up to 192FSB with no problems, but I only have a GF2. Could it possibly be a PSU problem?
Hood

Unfortunately there's no way for me to know

If I had spare parts like psu, memo or mobo, I could test each piece until I could find the problem.

Why do you think it could be a psu problem? My voltages are 12.40, 4.99 and 3.26. Vcore is 1.70 (I still haven't got my SLK-800, so I couldn't clean up the cpu to check this)

I must have been dreaming when I read your specs, I thought you had a GF4 Ti, dont ask me why. Anyway your volts look fine so I dont think the PSU is the prob. Are you getting the problems only in the post screen and it is OK when in windows?
Hood

Only post screen, but I haven't gone up very far, I guess 182 mhz was my max, as I got scared of those artifacts.

Well people on other forums say it's the agp bus running too high. Just to clarify, if the fsb is at 180 mhz, the pci is at 36 mhz, right? What about the agp, is it half the fsb or double the pci? Is it 90 mhz or 72 mhz?

Do you think it could be the agp running too high?

should be at 72. Just wondering if the divider isnt kicking in properly until after the POST. That way your AGP would be at 2x(182/4)=91,After the divider kicks in properly the AGP is back to 72 and you dont get the artifacts anymore.
Hood

hum maybe

Guess I'll wait until I get my new Tbred B 1700+, then I can test it at those high fsb, although I am not sure if my memo will keep up to that.

wow 380 for a cheap 333.

it's samsung, although if I recall well, Sandra reports it as Xerox or something like that. And it's not those TCBs 'C', they are 'D'

someone told me samsung released these TCB 'C' as 333 but they are true 400, unlike the 'D' ones which are 333. they said samsung made it to gather market in the overclocking community.

The orig Samsung have Samsung chips on a Samsung PCB, looks like yours is major on third. It could be your DDR in that case but couldnt say for sure. Still think it could be the divider not kicking in until after the post. Does it artifact if you do a restart.
Hood

Back