• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Primary ATA-100 IDE and Primary IDE?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

The_Ryz_Factor

Ok my mobo is an ASUS A7V133 mobo. My hard drive is a Western Digital 7200 RPM code stuff says WDAC200BB 20.5 gig HD. Here is the description from the place I got it from: 9.0 ms average seek, Ultra DMA 100 2Mb cache buffer. Now on the mobo, when I connect it to the Primary ATA-100 IDE port it does not get recognized. But when I put it in the normal Primary IDE port it does. Can I not use ATA100 with this hard drive? I am confused about that.

So I have my hard drive connected to the Primary IDE, and the CD ROM connected to the Secondary IDE port, is this the correct way to connect them? Also, the jumper for my hard drive is set to "cs," and the CD ROM jumper is set to "master." When I set the hard drive jumper to "master," it does not get recognized. Can anyone help out please?

TheRyzFactor

Follow the above advice.

I have that motherboard and a couple of those hard drives as well. The jumper in the rear of the drive should be set to master and should be plugged in with the last plug on the cable, same arrangement for the CD-ROM. Plug the hard drive into "IDE PRIMARY" and the CD-ROM into "IDE SECONDARY".

Go into the BIOS and make sure that it's set to "auto detect". If this doesn't work, although unlikely, you may have to manually enter the parameters of the hard drive.

The "Promise controller" ports are as [OC] Jason stated, primarily used for RAID and need additional drivers and other proceedures to set up. They can also be used for two additional ATA 100 device channels. When using the Promise controller, you increase the boot time due to an additional search of devices that has to be made.

Good Luck!

make sure that in the BIOS the ATA100 BIOS thingy is enabled, if its not enabled then it wont look at the HD

another note, when i use my HD on the ata100 i suffer speed losses compared to oldschool IDE, this is a common problem on the a7v133, i dunno if its avoidable or not but my drive is ok n the regular channel

hope i helped

usually only the primary ide connector supports ata100 and both devices have to be ata compatable most harddrives are but some cd-roms arent, if you cdrome doesnt support ata33-100 then it has to be instaled on the second ide, unless the hd has a jumper that alows you to select "master with non ata device" and as frank said in any case une needs to be the master "preferebly the HD" and one needs to be the slave otherwise you will have a conflict, also if you can avoid installing 2 devices on one ide "do it" it makes a difference in performance, so if you only have one HD and one CDROM by all means use a seperate ide for each

OK thanks guys. I just have the hard drive plugged into "Primary IDE" and the CD-ROM plugged into "Secondary IDE." The CD-ROM supports up to DMA 33 (which is the same as ATA 33 I'm assuming?) and it does not work in the ATA-100 IDE ports. So now my comp is working fine, I just need to hook it up to this cable modem I am using now. :)

TheRyzFactor

I also have the Asus A7V mobo. they have 4 ide connectors on board.....2@66ATA and 2@100ATA. My ATA100 hd is on the 100 connectors and my burner in on the 66. Both work fine without a glitch. Just make sure you have the latest Promise Ultra ATA100 controller installed.

Win2k
Duron 800 @ 1016....9.5x107
320mb Infineon ram Cas3
Herc 3D Prophet ll (PCI ver) 190/200
WD 30gb hd
SB pci128

...and the system bios will not recognize any drives on the ATA100 connectors but the promise bios does (which you see as a message on the screen telling you which drives it found)

The_Ryz_Factor (Jul 31, 2001 08:40 p.m.):
Ok my mobo is an ASUS A7V133 mobo. My hard drive is a Western Digital 7200 RPM code stuff says WDAC200BB 20.5 gig HD. Here is the description from the place I got it from: 9.0 ms average seek, Ultra DMA 100 2Mb cache buffer. Now on the mobo, when I connect it to the Primary ATA-100 IDE port it does not get recognized. But when I put it in the normal Primary IDE port it does. Can I not use ATA100 with this hard drive? I am confused about that.

So I have my hard drive connected to the Primary IDE, and the CD ROM connected to the Secondary IDE port, is this the correct way to connect them? Also, the jumper for my hard drive is set to "cs," and the CD ROM jumper is set to "master." When I set the hard drive jumper to "master," it does not get recognized. Can anyone help out please?

TheRyzFactor

Hello I am new at this stuff, first AMD and all. I have a Asus A7V MoBo it has four ide connector, I assume yours does to. The Blue ones are the 100's. I found out the hard way, the settings in the bios on the page where you select the boot sequence. Look at the ATA-100 settings you must have these things just right or it will not work. At boot up it will find everything then start looking for the ata-100 devices on the next boot page. The thing should find it, if everything is set right. If you have your MoBo book it will explain it in better detail. I had a hard time getting it to work, do some checking it will jump out.

David

Back