• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Higher multis than 13?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Tyranos

Does anyone know how I can run at higher multis than 13(auto)? I have a rev 1.1 ga7vaxp with a 2100b 0302. I'd like to specifically know how to get the 14th multiplier.

No, he's wrong.

There is a certain bridge (only one that has to be altered), which will allow 13 - 18+ multis to be accessed by the dip switches present on the 7VAXP.

You will have to either close or open ONLY ONE bridge. Normally the motherboard can only achieve 5 - 13 on your current CPU.

Please someone help out, I can't remember off the top of my head which bridge needs to be changed.

But rest assured, you don't have to change the bridges EVERY time you want a multiplier change. One of the CPU bridges accesses 13 and under, by altering that same bridge, the motherboard can get 13 or higher.

Dont say im wrong unless you can say how to do it. LOL I think you are thinking of the 5th L3 which defaults the CPU from higher and lower ranges(depending whether its joined or cut). As far as I know you will be able to use the dips to get higher multis but only if you dont OC the FSB, which IMO is useless as you will see bigger gains by upping the FSB and getting sync.
Hood
Hood

Reread the first post. He is trying to access the 14th multiplier which is not accessible without changing the 5th L3 bridge (thanks for being specific on the bridge btw).

Apparently he is either doing this for #$! and giggles, or does not want to overclock the fsb. This is a good way to increase CPU performance without worrying about other hardware. - But yes you are right, it's worthwhile to run RAM in sync with fsb, in which case many would be better off running the fsb at 166.

I don't see anywhere in the post with mention of system memory speed, so I am going to assume it's limited to DDR266, in which case a higher fsb is hard to attain.

Now it makes sense to join the 5th L3 bridge, to overclock the processor much higher than would be possible without doing this.

He already has the FSB to 170ish so is wanting to try with a higher multi than 13x. Unfortunately the Rev1.1 VAXP doesnt have this ability when OCing. If you have stock FSB I have seen it reported that some combinations of dips will give higher range multis, eg 5x may give 14x (not saying that is the correct combination though) Unfortunately it seems as soon as the FSB is OCed the multis will revert back to normal. So therfor I conclude that the only way to get higher than 13x on a Rev1.1 would be to set a specific multi by the L3 bridges. Possibly a BIOS mod could do that but I have my doubts as the Rev 1.2 has extra dips and would have thought Gigabyte would have just done it by BIOS rather than by dips if it was possible.
Hood

Back