• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

GRRRR its not good enough

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

hell-spawn

over the past 2 weeks of overclocking my 1800+ tbred past 2.2ghz with 2.00v i decided it my be time to water cooling so i can push a little further. so i bought me 1 today and it SUCKS. my old air cooling let me ride at 48c load with 190mhz x 12 @ 2.00v now with this crap water cooling it gets to 50 idle and it hit 56c after i ran 3dmark for 5 minutes. whats wrong with this crap. did i install it wrong? the manual gave me very little details as to how to set it up so i was guessing half of the way. its a cheap brand but even so it should still do as good as my air did right?the water going through everything is not heating up neither is the block( im guessing thats what the thing sitting on the CPU is called) i just dont get it i even ran icey water through it and it only dropped it 2c what should i do? did i buy a dud? will a bigger radiator help? more poerfull pumb? bigger blobk? any suggestions apprecited:mad: :mad:

What heatsink did you have before and what fan was on it?

What water-cooling kit do you have now?

Many of the so called "budget" water-cooling kits won't out-cool a very good air-based heatsink. What they are aimed at is giving near equivalent cooling without all the noise. If you expected more than this from a budget kit, then the problem lies with your expectations rather than the kit you bought.

Cathar said:
What heatsink did you have before and what fan was on it?

What water-cooling kit do you have now?

Many of the so called "budget" water-cooling kits won't out-cool a very good air-based heatsink. What they are aimed at is giving near equivalent cooling without all the noise. If you expected more than this from a budget kit, then the problem lies with your expectations rather than the kit you bought.

What he said.

Except if you bought the cp101, gyrox, water-x... they are all the same thing sold under different names. This is just complete junk, it doesn't work more quietly and it's performance is worse than a regular air-cooled counterpart, and it is unreliable to the point that it leaks within a month or two of ownership. If this is what you bought, you may want to contact the vendor who sold it to you and see if you can return it for an exchange... I know some vendors were taking returns on this product.

well my old HSF was an aero cool thing with copper heatsink and 4500 RPM fan which was very quiet and did very good job i also had 2 6000 rpm 92mm case fans and 2 5000 rpm 80mm thermaltake case fans, the kit i bought was a cool 2000 golden cool system which believe was crap before i set it up but i got it damn cheap and wanted to give it a try just to see what its like over the past 3 hours i have been putting the radiator in different places to see if it made a difference and it did. i have it sitting out the back of my case pointing upwards and my back case fan blowing over it now its 45c dle and im to scared to see what its like ful load but im guessing about 52-54c. even if i can get it to perform as good as my air cooling did ill be happy cause of a lighter noise level but i still want my temps to be less than 45c full load. any ideas how i can do this without spending much more money?

Basically you got one of these:

http://www.digit-life.com/articles/infiniproaquacool/

We're talking serious yester-year block design here, with a poor pump and a puny radiator.

Such a kit simply isn't designed to "cut it" with today's high-heat output CPU's. Every single element in that system is holding you back. If you want better, your best bet is to rip the lot out and start again.

Sorry to say that, but it's the simple truth.

have you tried to reseat the waterblock? that could be a problem.

if you say the block isnt heating up then Im guessing that the block isnt making good contact with the cpu. Try reseating the block and clean it really good before you reapple the thermal paste.

Clean the block, seat it then pull it off and see if it's making good contact. Make sure it squeezes out all but a very thin layer of thermal compound. What kind of compound are you using?

That's also the first thing I thought of when you said the waterblock wasn't getting warm. It should be the hotest thing in your system besides the CPU.

You shouldn't have bought that kit. Did you do any research before you bought it? I'm sorry, but I think the best thing you can do is sell the kit and start over.

Back