• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Burned my first CPU

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

fmah

Welp, I was doing some research on custom heatsinking and burnt up my first CPU. The 1700+ XP is now dead. I guess the best place to get replacements for testing is ebay. No smoke, but a slightly funny smell on the CPU. Next time I will use the OEM heatsink clip!

What's a good CPU to use for testing that's cheap and for a socket 462. I think maybe a Tbird can be used?

:)

For heatsink testing, I would suggest using a 1600+ XP or a 1.4 standard TBird. Both generate alot of heat, so they would be ideal for that purpose. I remember my old 1.4 tbird at 1.75 and 1.73ghz made around 105 watts of heat! I needed an AX7 with a rheostated Vantec Tornado to keep it cool. Now with the same heatsink on my 2400+ xp, which only makes 65 watts of heat, my cpu temps never go over 34c!

TBirds and Durons because of the high heat output and low price.

Just can't beat that ;)

And hey- if you have to kill a chip, better with a $30 one than a $130 one.

I'm testing out some large heatsinks. After the burning I design a copper block to fit in place of the normal heatsink, which is then attached to a larger heatsink. Sort of an extension of my thread from awhile back about passive CPU cooling. I got a 10"x12" heatsink and a 12"x5" heatsink. I will attach them to the copper block to see how they perform with no fans, then I will design a case to support these parts. During testing the motherboard is horizontal so everything just stacks up on the CPU for now, but I didn't have enough pressure pushing on the heatsink to the CPU .

The board I'm using doesn't have holes for post/spring mounting so I will just use the OEM spring clip for now.

Education isn't always free.

Back