• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ASIII for my core?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

thirteen13rulez

Ive got myself a r9500np @ r"9800" softmod 330/297. I want to try and get the core higher (im not sure if it goes, ive upped it to 337 and it crashed to desktop after about an hour in 3dmark2k1se...but no artifacting whatsoever; is that still a sign of core being too far overclocked for the current heat solution?) so i was thinking pop the hsf off, clean up the stock stuff, and apply as3 (perhaps pop the shim off if it seems its not making good contact). Is this a wise decision? Will it get me any better of an o/c?

thanks

If The core is clocked to high youll expierence crashing and reboots, so yeah its a sighn that ur core is too high. Yes adding AS3 is a good idea and a lot of people do it to there vid cards, becarefully taking the heatsink off, its commonly attached with glue thats hard to get off...(not sure about the radeon cards, but true for most geforce cards)

Nah the videocard heatsink for Radeon's are easy to take off. I turned off my PC and immediatly took it off. The thermal tape was nice and warm so it just slid right off. :p

AS3 becomes conductive to electricity when it's compressed. As long as it's on the die of the GPU, then it'll be A-OK. If it spills and falls on any circuts, then be sure to clean up the mess. I would recommend using Artic Alumina for this job; it's easier to clean up and not electrically conductive at all.

:edit:
Removing the shim is a dicey issue. Removing it has been rumored to increase the chances of cracking the core. However, the gains in temp have been well documented. I recommend doing what I did and filing down the shim using the lapping method used for a cpu hs. Just use 600 grit wet/dry sandpaper and lay it on some glass. Wet it with some water.Then take the shim (removed from the GPU core of course), place it on the glass and rub it in a circular motion with a block of wood on top of it to keep it from slipping. It took me about 30 odd strokes to get it lean enough. Then just lay it back in or epoxy/glue it in and enjoy.

good day

Last edited:
Evil_Eye said:
AS3 becomes conductive to electricity when it's compressed. As long as it's on the die of the GPU, then it'll be A-OK. If it spills and falls on any circuts, then be sure to clean up the mess. I would recommend using Artic Alumina for this job; it's easier to clean up and not electrically conductive at all.

:edit:
Removing the shim is a dicey issue. Removing it has been rumored to increase the chances of cracking the core. However, the gains in temp have been well documented. I recommend doing what I did and filing down the shim using the lapping method used for a cpu hs. Just use 600 grit wet/dry sandpaper and lay it on some glass. Wet it with some water.Then take the shim (removed from the GPU core of course), place it on the glass and rub it in a circular motion with a block of wood on top of it to keep it from slipping. It took me about 30 odd strokes to get it lean enough. Then just lay it back in or epoxy/glue it in and enjoy.

good day

Ditto that. For something like video cards, north bridges etc. Your best bet is to use Arctic Alumina to make sure it isn't going to be capacitive and perhaps kill a 200.00 card with just one move.

Yodums

Back