• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Unlocking Job goofes up Multiplier

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

zoopa_man

I spent two hours today using tape and a window defogger kit trying to connect all five of the L1 bridges on my AMD XP1600 I'm finally getting to booting my rig up tonight Yah 2am i know... and all I've managed to do is change my default multiplier from 10.5 to 10 ! :mad: Default on the chip use to be 10.5x133 Now when I try to change the mult in bios all I get is 10x If I change it to 10.5 the pc boots but bios still reads 10...if I change it to 11 my PC won't boot at all and I have to clear the CMOS and reset everything. When i set the bios to auto detect It thinks the mult should be 10x and says my chip is an AMD 1500.

Looking at the chip with a magnifying glass I cant see where any of the bridges are not connected or shorting with the pits that I filled with super glue. But if this is happening i'm assuming one of the later must be happening. Can anyone help me here ?? I want this chip unlocked. Definitely not like it is now with a 10x mult.

What do I have to do to fix this ?? Please help.

Thank You,

zoopa

I ran an exacto knife between the bridges parrallel to the traces I made with the rear window defogger repair kit. I was careful not to be too forceful, but this made shallow pits that made me fairly sure none of my traces were connecting to the ones next to them.

I used a pin to do what IMOG said but it is also possible that one of the connections to one of the bridges isn't making good contact, sometimes there is a clear coating over the bridges that prevents a good connection from being made (or you might have got some super glue on them).

Fixing it is easy, just clean off the bridges with some rubbing alcohol.

The way I see it you have 2 choices, one do what IMOG said and risk the fact that it might not fix the problem so you'll have to take the CPU out again or two... clean off the bridges and start over and this time clean the individual dots with some alcohol and carefully scrape them with a pin to remove anything that may be covering them. Don't worry, something similar has happened to most of us the first time we unlocked.

Not 100% certain but the fact that your XP1600 is a default of 10.5 multi and you are now locked at a 10 multi would indicate a problem with the 0.5 bit (the 1st L1 bridge)

DaddyB said:
I used a pin to do what IMOG said but it is also possible that one of the connections to one of the bridges isn't making good contact, sometimes there is a clear coating over the bridges that prevents a good connection from being made (or you might have got some super glue on them).

I did the same thing with the Xacto... scratched up the PCB pretty well.. I got lucky to not cut anything important... best thing IMO is to clean off and try again... my first botched job gave me 8, 8.5, 10, 10.5 My second botched job got me 6, 6.5 and 10.5 I stopped after that since I had a pretty decent 1816 MHz clock speed.

Was lookimg at Toms hardware and they said you should be able to use a multi-meter and Ohm it out using the resistance part, with rearwindow defogger or this type of conducter you should have vitualy no resistance, with the old pencil trick you will have approx. 900? ohms which is why the pencil won't work on your chip. At least this way you know if it'll work before putting it in.

I had this same problem with my XP1800+ that was unlocked right (Or so we all thought.. The Spyder looked at it, and he thought it was right..)

I've given up...I tried it again and ended up with a 6x mult. I looked at all the connections and they were all connected and not touching..but when i checked them with the multi meter only two were under 1ohm the rest were like 50ohms or 8ohms...I've spent too much time straining my eyes and trying tape tricks and what not to get this to work and nothing seems to work. I'm just about ready to just buy a new chip if I want more speed.

Same thing happened to me when i first unlocked my chip, I had to scrape the connections off to get that stuff off that stops you from getting a good connection.

at least you didnt do what i did and took a 2000+ to a 10.5x multiplier and oh yeah it can vary each time i clean off the top of the cpu one time it was @ 700 mhz i blew all the L3 L4 and L10 bridges to make my own cpu it didnt work on my pally but it did on my tbread a

Back