• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

how to overclock a AMD athlone XP

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

knownotin

Registered
I just bought myself an AMD athlone XP 2400+ with a gigabyte GA-7VAC mobo and 256MB DDR PC266 RAM, and i would like to overclock it, currently everything is at default settings. And i think the multiplier is locked. How do i overclock it?

If I am not mistaken you cant alter the multis with that mobo (no dips and no BIOS options) so the only way is for OCing is to raise the FSB or buy a better mobo for OCing.
Hood

I think you will find that your PCI will fail before the CPU(on standard VCore) when increasing the FSB. The way to get round that would be to manually set the CPU to a set multiplier and also set the FSB to 333, probably not really worth the hassle.
But I could be wrong and possibly you may need an increase in the VCore to get the FSB a bit higher, but just keep an eye on the temps.
Hood

ok, now i'm gonna sound like a real newbe, but on my mobo is a switch which i can adjust to 100,133 or 166 Mhz, what switch is that? And is there a difference between a system bus and a front side bus?

The switch you are talking about is for setting the FSB, for the 2400 you need it at 133MHz as the CPU uses a 266 bus (2x 133).
System bus can be many things depending on what you are talking about, but in your case I think its the same as FSB.
Hood

Back