• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

heatink "paint" removal

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Celeron_Phreak

I'm not sure if it's even paint, but is it possible to remove this stuff from a heatsink? I plan to put a window on my case in the near future and want everything to look nice :).

C.P.

BTW, I don't have cash for a new heatsink. And I like this one, which is why I'm asking the question.

Sorry Phreak, but as far as I know- the only way your going to get all the adonising (I think thats what its called) is with high strength acid or good old fashioned elbow grease and some sandpaper.

Imagine lapping the entire heatsink- it's hard work but if you do it right it will look great. :)

wasn't it anodizing

You should try some chemicals (acids) or similar.
It would probably look worse though.

Do you mean it would look worse after I removed the anodizing? Or it would look worse if I used chemicals?

C.P.

It would look worse if you used chemicals. The anodizing is more chemical resistant than the base metal and therefore wherever it disolves through first will have much more material removed. Plus the surface will be pitted all over. Wich may be a wanted effect...more surface area.:)

Hey I just used a blowtorch on 5 old black heatsinks...3 turned a gold color and 2 turned a copper color.

Last edited:
hahah. Good ideas guys! I think I'll try the blow torch thing, as I have a lot of spare socket 7 heatsinks from my obsolet computer collection :D

Yep. Pure bleach works! So sweet. I'm gonna let this one finish, then look over the results and see if I want to change trying it on my main comps one. Thanks a whole lot Daemonfly! :D

Does anodizing reduce heat transfer? After all, it's a layer of (whatever it is) between the copper/aluminum that is getting in the way.

Let us know how bleach works- but I would still recommend Lapping the base afterwards... just in case.

Yes, I think I'll end up lapping the sides and base. There are visible "drip" marks all over the heatsink, and it looks like the bleach "melted" the aluminum, if not softened it, and caused this. Also, there are areas on it which look like they have been tarnished. Any ideas on how to imporve this bleaching process?

C.P.

Celeron_Phreak said:
Yes, I think I'll end up lapping the sides and base. There are visible "drip" marks all over the heatsink, and it looks like the bleach "melted" the aluminum, if not softened it, and caused this. Also, there are areas on it which look like they have been tarnished. Any ideas on how to imporve this bleaching process?

hmmm... you could try using a weaker solution of bleach (maybe mix it 3:1 bleach/water) or minimisng the amount of time spent in the bath (got a sudden mental image of a person in a bleach bath... ouch :D )

Aluminum is a soft metal to start with so a strong bleach COULD soften it to the point of 'dripping'. Maybe a copper heatsink would offer stronger resistance to the melting effect.

Just out of interest- what type/brand of bleach did you use?

Well, anodizing is just aluminum oxidizing, then they just add a dye to it that gives it the various colors. This is why I thought bleach would work well. Glad to hear it mostly worked.

Not sure about the drip marks, but I wouldn't think bleach could "melt" aluminum. Perhaps the drip stains were there before they anodized it. Perhaps it needs a bit more bleaching. I don't think anyone on these forums has tried this yet, so it's kinda new ground.

Well I've givin up on this one. I guess I'll just end up getting a new heatsink that's "naturally" silver. :)

The process of anodizing aluminum uses sulfuric acid and electricity to form a layer of aluminum oxide on the surface of the aluminum. During the process, you can add the dye, which gives you the different colors.

Aluminum oxide is much stronger and more resistant to corrosion than regular aluminum, and if it is anodized correctly, it will improve the efficiency of heat transfer. Aluminum oxide doesn't conduct heat as well as aluminum on its own, but without anodizing, the aluminum corrodes, decreasing the efficiency. That's why you don't see many non-anodized heatsinks around.

I don't recommend removing the anodizing, but if you really want to, sulfuric acid is probably the only way to get it all off. Don't use bleach, it reacts with aluminum to form chlorine gas (not healthy).

Just let me give everyone a fair warning right now. For giggles I had a heat sink *AMD K6-2 3-D NOW from AMD direct* chromed. I know, I know, why would I do this, well a buddy was getting his edlebrock *sp* covers chromed and the guy said he would do the heat sink for nothing. Well when I got it back i had to do some polishing as he used the process of adding nickel first and such so i had some rough edges. Anyways, to make a long story not much longer. Chrome does not stand up to heat unless you get a specific type of chrome. The idea was great and it looked SWEET! until the chrome got so hot that it started to peel. :O(
Bummer, anyways I am considering trying the harder chrome that is also layered, but hey, if anyone has tried this and suceeded I would love to see pics of a chromed out chassis and such.:eek:

KnowlesTech said:
Just let me give everyone a fair warning right now. For giggles I had a heat sink *AMD K6-2 3-D NOW from AMD direct* chromed. I know, I know, why would I do this, well a buddy was getting his edlebrock *sp* covers chromed and the guy said he would do the heat sink for nothing. Well when I got it back i had to do some polishing as he used the process of adding nickel first and such so i had some rough edges. Anyways, to make a long story not much longer. Chrome does not stand up to heat unless you get a specific type of chrome. The idea was great and it looked SWEET! until the chrome got so hot that it started to peel. :O(
Bummer, anyways I am considering trying the harder chrome that is also layered, but hey, if anyone has tried this and suceeded I would love to see pics of a chromed out chassis and such.:eek:

...needs more nickel to resist the heat.. chrome only resists corrosion...

-Frank

Back