• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

heatink "paint" removal

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Standard Household bleach is about 5.25% Sodium Hypochloride. If you go to a pool supply store (most areas) you can get liquid chlorine that is 10.5% sodium hypochloride. Some areas may not have it but it's everywhere in Florida, ( I used to asst. manage a pool supply store) That would be stronger than using the standard bleach but if you can find Sulfuric Acid, that would be best.

I thought Lye is what is used (lye is a Caustic vs an Acid) to remove anodizing.

Mark620 said:
I thought Lye is what is used (lye is a Caustic vs an Acid) to remove anodizing.

Yes, lye can be used to remove anodizing, but be careful with it! Lye is very basic (not simple, but the opposite of acidic), and it will react violently with acids. Don't copy the movie Fight Club and dump vinegar on lye powder. That would produce quite a bit of a reaction.

Also, dilute it well when disposing of it.

Finally, it isn't a very good idea to remove the anodizing, if you aren't going to either re-anodize it, or chrome it, because of the properties of aluminum. The anodizing is there for a reason. Without it, the aluminum corrodes and it's thermal efficiency is dramatically reduced.

yea, lye and water mixture will do it or soak it in bluing remover over night bluing remover can be found at a gun store/sporting goods store

The bleach worked great for me. I'm gonig to use it in my "demonstration" computer with teh window :). I'll see if I'm up to putting up a pic of it ;)

Back