• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

1700+, 2100+ or 2500+?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

irish80122

I am thinking of getting one of these three chips to replace my 2000+ which sucks at OCing, which you can see. Which would you recommend, I wouldn't mind shelling the money out for any of them, but I need to know which is the best deal right now. Also, do I need to upgrade my THERMALTAKE TORNADO 7 or not, I am not sure because my mobo because I have heard that no matter what the CPU on my mobo is always a bit high, but I don't know how accurate this is. Please help, I need to make a decision SOON!!!

Myself I would go with the 1700 that way if you aren't satisfied then you aren't out much money if money isn't a issue then get the 2500 barton.

What about the HSF? Do I need to replace it or should this do the trick? Also, how do I prepare it to go on the new chip? I know I will have to clean it up some and put new paste on, but is there anything else I would need to do? Thanks.

I would maybe get a good fan with good cfm and lap the heatsink beforce appling AS3. artic silver 3

Sounds good, I am not quite sure that I know what you mean when you say lap the heatsink, can you possibly define that? Sorry, I am a newbie, but I appreciate all your help.

I am holding off on purchasing for a day or two so I can get a few more opinions so please still post your opinions on this topic. I am leaning towards the 2500+, but I need your advice! Thanks.

I have a Thermaltake Smartfan II on my heatsink. It has a variable speed control on it. With this, you can change the speed of the fan to suit your needs, UP for 3D gaming, DOWN for sleeping :p

There are many other good fans out there, but this one works for me.

The other thing I was thinking about is how much does the case have to do with the temperature of the CPU? I have a pretty crummy case, but I don't know how important it is to change it.

Not much unless you only have like 1 case fan. I would think a good cooling case should have @least 4 fans 2 front 2 back and the powersupply fan. I have 2 front 1 side 2 top 2 back and power supply overkill!!!

Well, it's very easy to test:

After your pc has reached its normal temp, open the case.
The themperatures will drop. If they drop a lot then you need to do something ... you get the idea...

Dosn't the Volcano 7 use 70mm fans? If it does it might be a little hard to find a good fan...

I would suggest upgrading your hsf. The thermalright sk-7 or the slk800 would be an excellent choice, but if you get one of those i would say to get a fan over 50cfm to go on top.

About the chip, I would go the 1700 route. They are doing very well, and cost very little. That way if you want to upgrade pretty soon after the 1700, you have to option too since you will have some extra cash

Sorry if I was unclear there, I don't mean get a new fan, I mean get a whole new heatsink and fan. I am not sure on how good of a HSF combo that one is, and how well it will do with a 2500+. Please, everyone, if you have any comments on the 1700+, 2100+ or 2500+ please let me know. Thanks.

The Thermalright SLK800 is a heatsink only: and probably the best on the market. You will need to get a fan if you buy one of these, that is why i made the fan suggestion too.

Oh, lol, I am the idiot, I am sorry about that. Are there any fans you recommend to go on top of that heatsink? Also, would it be better to have it blowing out or blowing in? Thanks.

Back