• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Detecting computer problems

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Frodo Baggins

One of my friends owns a very old Gateway that hasn't been formated for quite some time. He's been locking up lately every so often (very annoying), but is reluctant to format (I told him it might be the case of his problem) Is there a program that could detect if your problems were the cause of computer junk piling up?

I wished.......it would make troubleshooting SOOO much faster.

Depending on how long it's been since he did an OS install, I'd say reinstall.

Something he may try "just in case" is pulling everything out and re-assembling it. Sometimes vibrations from fans......heating/cooling.........dust build-up.......whatever can cause poor contact. Re-seating everything may clear it up. (and easier than formatting if it works)

Frodo Baggins said:
One of my friends owns a very old Gateway that hasn't been formated for quite some time. He's been locking up lately every so often (very annoying), but is reluctant to format (I told him it might be the case of his problem) Is there a program that could detect if your problems were the cause of computer junk piling up?

it was happening to my uncle's computer. i took out some junks (used ashampoo, reg cleaner, ad-aware, etc...) and its running fine again..
and vacuumed the inside of the case too...

Clean out the case, and go into MSCONFIG (start-run-type in "msconfig" and hit enter) and disable all non-neccesary startup options and see what happens. Good luck, let us know how it turns out.

Back