• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cleaning inside radiator

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Slowmo

How can you make sure the inside of the radiator is clean? I just shot water through mine and it comes out nice n perdy. Is there a chemical solution I should soak it in?

This is just a guess but, CLR???? Can anyone confirm/refute that???
DISREGARD: I just read somewhere else that CLR can eat through copper. Unless someone else can prove that isn't true I suggest you don't try it!!!

Last edited:
clr eats copper like drano and liquid plumber eat pipes.... but people still put it in pipes.

as long as you flush it out in a reasonable amount of time... (30 hrs?), it'll be jsut fine.

hcl "eats" copper, but that's why i use it.... i use toilet bowl cleaner with 10% HCL, and yes, it eats copper, but that's why i use it!!!! it eats away the surface layers, which may include corroded, nasty crap and other undesireable stuff, and acts as a "polish", or much as sandpaper does.

because a cleaner dissolves copper, doesn't make it bad, it just makes it useful....

i wish people wouldn't jump to conclusions without thinking about it first....

the phosphoric acid (sp?) in coca-cola also make coke an excellent copper cleaner.

white vinegar and seasalt have been use by cooks for many, many, many years to clean their copper pots.... (vinegar = weak acetic acid, i think)

ammonia, also......

most acids will do the trick, just remember, the more concentrated the acid, the less time you have to soak it.

if you get some 12 molar sulfuric acid, i wouldn't let it sit in yer copper for more than 2 mins, TOPS>..... LOL..... if you got it, send me some of that 12 molar h2so4, i could use some..... ;)

It does have a copper core now that I have it apart. Thanks for the information guys. This is a sweet 12.5 X 12.5 inch radiator with a little 1/4 hp fan and shroud. I'm gonna have to mount it outside of the computer, but i should get room temps.

Back