• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dragon Orb 3

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bensonjv

On my second system I have a Dragon Orb 3 (with 7000RPM fan).

At stock speeds it keeps CPU temp around 40c. I guess that's ok for a T-bird given how hot they run.

Anyway, the 7000RPM fan is loud! I don't know exact db's but if you believe reviews out there - they say it is louder than a Delta. Note: The 7000RPM fan is marketed separately as the “Storm Fan”, giving you an easy way to add a 7000 RPM fan to your current Orb.

If I swap fans I'm thinking I'll have limitations and/or trouble with mounting. Therefore my gut says go with a new sink.

I could just add a rheobus on it but then I diminish performance in exchange for quiet. It already runs hot.

I want to achieve the same or better cooling and make the unit quieter. Do I swap fans or go with a totally new sink?

If go with a new sink, which one? I prefer quiet, inexpensive, and socket mounts if available.
Thanks.

Epox 8K7A+
1.4 T-Bird AYHJA (38-42c @ 1400)
256MB Mushkin Hi-perf PC2100 DDR
Maxtor 80GB HDD
Enermax 431W
Win XP Home

Update:

Looking at these.

Titan TTC-D5T
Titan TTC-D6T
Thermaltake Volcano 7+
Zalman CNPS 6000 ALCU
SLK-900

the Dragon Orb 3+ (7000rpm version) uses a 38cfm delta. i have one and it drove me nuts, i eventually replaced it with a thermalright sk6+.

i would look at the thermalright SLK-700/800/900 heatsinks. get one of those with a 35-40cfm fan and it will be very quiet and cool better then the Orb.

You can try to mount a tmd fan on it. I made a post a while back on the type of performance i would get from it, but i never attached the fan to it. You can try that or just settle with another hsf.

john240sx said:
the Dragon Orb 3+ (7000rpm version) uses a 38cfm delta. i have one and it drove me nuts, i eventually replaced it with a thermalright sk6+.

i would look at the thermalright SLK-700/800/900 heatsinks. get one of those with a 35-40cfm fan and it will be very quiet and cool better then the Orb.

The SLK-900 was one of my choices. Any input on the others I listed? I think the SLK was the most expensive of the bunch. Not that I'm ging cheap on this but if I can get comparable performance for less $$$..............

Volcano 7+ would be a very good choice. I have one right beside me. It runs about 38* on low and u can't even hear it. ambient is like 28. btw, processor is 2100+ Tbred A

KEBunny said:
Volcano 7+ would be a very good choice. I have one right beside me. It runs about 38* on low and u can't even hear it. ambient is like 28. btw, processor is 2100+ Tbred A

That seems like a good choice. However, most of the setups here are talking about Tbreds. I have an old TBird (1.82v). Won't I need more fan to cool the extra voltage~heat? That's what has me stumped on a good fan for the SLK-800. I want to cool the TBird quietly.

(Good idea for a vendor - on each fan's details page, include links to wavs recorded from a fixed location and setup so we can har the difference. )

Are you gonna be overclocking? How about the Vantec Aeroflow?

Since this is your second system, I'd say the Aeroflow would be best since it's cost effective and cools very well.. i've got an SLK-800 myself, and it's nice, but in all everything was $45 + shipping, and the Aeroflow can be found for $30 + shipping..

TerroH8er said:
Are you gonna be overclocking? How about the Vantec Aeroflow?

Since this is your second system, I'd say the Aeroflow would be best since it's cost effective and cools very well.. i've got an SLK-800 myself, and it's nice, but in all everything was $45 + shipping, and the Aeroflow can be found for $30 + shipping..

No, I won't OC it anymore.

Has anyone done a comparision between the aeroflow and the SLK-180? I guess you can't without a specific fan for the 800.

I don't know. Now I'm torn again. I'm still leaning toward the 800 though. I'm just stuck on a good quiet 40+CFM fan.

Back