• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD CPU Shims + SLK800

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

OpenGL

iam afraid i crushed my core , iam getting it replaced . should i get a shim for 8 dollars? who makes the best shims . Why is the core so fragile ? :(

I bought a shim originally for around $4.50 (Thermaltake), I used it for 1 CPU, but as I got more and more careful and used to mounting HSFs, It was unnecessary.

If you use those circular pads that come with the slk800 you should be fine. Don't use them and you are at greater risk.

A shim's a small piece of copper that fits around the die, making it harder to put the heatsink on lopsided and crush the core.

The disadvantages are that it slightly increased temperatures (right?) and it's an extra $5 or so.

AFAIK they do increase temps, I have never used one, but everything I have read indicates that.

i bought one f***ing shim, and i never got to use it, damn, i want my 5€ back, well, less a couple of beers i drink

don't buy it, just be carafull when you mount your cooler

if it raises temps by 1 or 2 that will no way bother me. Its kind of like insurance for your cpu .

toledo, what is AFAIK?

3000, how long did that take to do your sig?

open gl, not sure about shims, was it really that easy to crush the core? did it just go *crack* and badda boom?

AFAIK = as far as I know

I crushed a Tbird long ago but that was because I was being stupid... well kinda. I had a good idea that I was crushing the core but I didn't care and wanted a new CPU so I kept doing what I was doing (screwing an L bracket into the untapped top holes on the fan (on the heatsink) so I could add a second fan on the side... the heatsink kept teetering (did i mention it was mounted on the cpu?) and took off one corner of the die).

Anyway XPs are supposed to be stronger then Tbirds so if it was a tbird you crushed then replacing it with an XP should help you out a bit. Adding a shim with an slk800 will impare the secondary cooling effect of the air blowing onto the CPU itself but if it saves your CPU I guess it's OK.

If you can't install HS, You can't build a computer.

Sh*t happens , its better to be safe then sorry , it could happen to anyone , even you . i have installed tons of heatsinks and finally it cracked even with the pads , didnt even apply preasure, or i think it cracked , it still can be the motherboard.

here is my computer that i built , iam waiting for the rmas to return.

my demon is dead :mad:
done.jpg

img3e9b861e149c4.jpg

img3e9b85e1604b5.jpg

img3e9b864db5bf6.jpg

Last edited:
Back