• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

First AMD-system, needs advice

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

john deere

Registered
I just bought a used system. The motherboard is a Matsonic ms8127c+ 266. It´s a Socket A-board supporting only pc100/pc133 RAM. Check the specs of it here: http://www.matsonic.com/ms8127c+266.htm

Would using, say an Athlon XP 2200+ (which it supports according to the specs) with this board work fine or will it be bottlenecked by the board and/or memory?

The PSU is 250W, +5V & +3.3V 125W.

Thanks in advance.

/john

It would be really bottleneck with 133 memory, you should just get a new mobo. If you havent already bought the 2200, you should get a 1700 DLT3C it will OC at least 2250mhz. And some good pc3200 ram.

Post what you have... how much more you can invest and I'll see what I think would be best for you.

Thanks for replying.

No, I haven´t bought the 2200 yet, I was just speculating ;-). I guess I have to wait and save a few bucks for a processor/mobo/RAM-combo then. Would the power supply still be ok?

Hmm, If you are looking to save money, the Abit NF7-S Version2 costs $120, the Athlon 1700 JIUHB0310XPMW (one of the best overclockers out there right now) costs $72, the nForce2 BIOS survival kit for the Abit NF7-S Rev2 costs $16, the thermalright SLK800 costs $35, and 2 sticks of 256MB Corsair XMS pc3200 costs $159, all at www.excaliberpc.com. This are all top quality products, in many ways the best on the market, and if you know how to shop around their site you can save $18 for a sub total of $401.99. This may be a little out of your league, but I thought it may help you to find what you want.

Edit: I also think that power supply will probably have to go. You can look around on www.pricewatch.com for a good name brand power supply (Enermax, Sparkle, Antec, etc...), preferably nothing under 430watts. I know that the Enermax Whisper series 430watt is a great power supply because that's what I have and it has served me very well so far.

Back