• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

The Little Monster Build advice

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

unclewally88

Hey all, been lurking along time. Built a couple overclocked machines in the past with guidance I have read from here.

Need some advice. Looking at doing a small form factor build.

Core I5-9600K
Asus Rog Strix Z390-I Gaming Mini ITX board
Kingston - HyperX Predator 2x16GB DDR4-3600
Gigabyte - GeForce RTX 2060 6 GB Mini ITX OC Video Card
Fractal Design - Core 500 Mini ITX
EVGA - SuperNOVA G3 650W 80+ Gold
Fractal Designs - Celcius S24 87.6 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler

Will it all fit? It sounds like I could fit a full size GPU in there, so I'm not sold on the Mini ITX one. Mostly I want to be assured that the FD H2O for the CPU will work with this combo in the top of the case.

The other issue I have had in the past is that I have run an older build through my AV system - Yamaha RX-A3030 reciever to bose surround sound and 60" samsung TV with 240 hz refresh rate. Sound output on past machines has been through a Creative Labs Audigy card taking up a PCIE slot and using the analog outputs from the card to the receiver. There isn't an extra PCIE on this MOBO. It looks to have a optical sound output that I can run in parallel with HDMI cable to reciever, then run everything to the TV via HDMI.

Will use for gaming and some streaming.

Thanks in advance!

Waldo

I'd go 2x8gb ddr4.. no need for 32gb. 3200 mhz too to save a few bucks. Take that money saved and get a 2070 for higher fps for that 240 hz tv.

As far as fitment, the case specs should tell you what clearances it has for CPU, heatsink/aio, GPU, and psu. Then look at the size for the cooler and GPU, etc.

Yeah for sure Fractal will at least tell you what Fractal coolers will fit, and possibly list some other brands as well. Here is the product page.
Graphics cards up to 310 mm in length (note: graphics cards longer than 170 mm will not fit with PSUs that exceed 170 mm)
and
Water cooling compatibility (note: not compatible with AIO water cooler units that feature the pump on the radiator):

Top – 280, 240, 140 and 120 mm radiators. (Thickness limitation of 100 mm for both radiator + fan) (240 and 280 mm radiators require removal of the ODD bay) (280mm radiator can be maximum 325mm in length)
Rear – 120 mm radiator (not compatible with the rear 3.5" HDD position)

FWIW, I used that same case for my son's last build. Very nice case. Highly recommended.

While I am not going to recommend you down size to 2 x 8GB of RAM, I will say 32GB is likely a lot more than you need. 16GB is still a big chunk RAM - which leads me to my next point.

I don't see any storage devices. I definitely recommend going all SSD. Even the slowest SSD can run circles around the fastest hard drive. They consume less power, are faster, and generate less heat (always nice in smaller cases). Plus they are faster and much smaller so there is less impact on air flow - also nice in smaller cases. And did I mention they are faster? And because they are so much faster (and because of how they store data) they are ideally suited for Page Files. So even if, by some rare chance you run out of RAM, you're OS won't be bottlenecked by having to spool data into and out of a clunky Page File that's located on a slow hard drive.

I also don't see an OS license. New computers typically need new Windows licenses. Only full retail licenses can "legally" be transferred to new computers.

While that EVGA SuperNova is a great PSU (and the EVGA SuperNovas are what I have in all my recent builds), 650W is way more than you need. As seen here, you could easily get by with a 450W (and that is padding the results even more with 100% CPU Utilization, a HD, and Corsair H80 since the FD is not listed). So I recommend you look at the EVGA SuperNova 550W - which is what I have in this computer. Note the EVGA SuperNova 550 GM model only has a 92mm fan, but I assure you, it is of excellent quality and more importantly, still extremely quiet. That said being Gold rated for efficiency, it rarely gets warm enough to cause the fan to spin up to full speed (and loudness) anyway. My point is however, the GM model is nearly an inch shorter in all dimensions - also nice in a smaller case.

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/unclewally88/saved/GpvLJx

Not sure if that will work as intended....

I went to Asus' QVL list for memory on that board and picked one from the list. I tossed around 16GB, but it seams as though that is the first thing I end up upgrading. I'm not knowledgable enough to pick RAM on my own. I can't tell which is faster:Team Dark Pro 2x8GB 14-14-14-31 DDR3200 or the sticks I have selected in PCPartsPicker.

I was thinking about reusing 4 SSD's I have in a RAID 5 array, but switched that to the new M.2 version. Thinking about all the issues I had OCing my Tower with a RAID 5, one drive works just fine for me....

I have had issues in the past with PSU's and longevity, so I try to overkill that a little. I do like the idea of the smaller dimensions in the one you listed.

I have had issues in the past with PSU's and longevity, so I try to overkill that a little.
With any quality PSU, going overkill (way more power than you need) does not affect longevity.

Longevity is more a factor of the initial quality and design, as well as how clean (or dirty) the grid power is. Any quality PSU can run at near capacity for hours and hours on end with no problems or decrease in longevity AS LONG AS it does not over heat. That's were a quality case with proper cooling comes in so the PSU has an ample supply of cool air coming in.

For that reason, since the calculator indicated your load would be 380W, going with a 400W supply would be cutting it too close. That's why they suggested an extra 430W and I suggested 550W.

Of course, that 380W would be with everything in the computer (CPU, GPU, all RAM, all drives, all fans, etc.) running at maximum load at the same time. That would be a very rare event during normal use - typically only seen during the first second or two of a "cold" start. If EVGA had a SuperNova 500W, I would have suggested that. At least the 550W gives you extra room for added hardware. That said, if you get a good deal on the 650W, go for it. I am just saying you don't need near that much power.

650W covers any upgrades and is a good middle ground between overkill (which you know I hate) and cutting it too close. I would be as insistent as you are if he was going for a 750W PSU... but 650W PSU covers just about any single PCU and GPU solution. If he wants to save some money, 550W is also plenty for the majority of single CPU/GPU setups as well.

I tossed around 16GB, but it seams as though that is the first thing I end up upgrading.
Your call, but I suggest looking at how much RAM you are using now. If you are close to 16GB, then go 32GB by all means. If you are not and sitting around 10-13GB how you use your PC, then more is a waste now... get it later (it will likely be cheaper then too). That said, having more and unused RAM won't hurt a thing, except your wallet. :)

As far as I know only Samsung B die IC's can run 3200MHz at 14-14-14, and based on reviews it appears that is what is in the team dark memory. It is a premium IC compared to the other kit, but it's also somewhat apples to oranges. Both kits should easily run 3600MHz though, although the 3200MHz kits might take a little more voltage to do so. But really you're comparing an expensive ($342) 32GB kit with mid range timings vs a good deal on a top of the line 16GB kit ($180) with excellent timings.

To put things into perspective there is a 32GB CL19 sniper x kit on Newegg for $210 right now. I think the hyperX is over priced for the mild improvements in timings. On the other hand, the Team Dark Pro kit is a great deal if you want/need B-die, but know that you are paying a premium for a marginal performance increase.

- - - Auto-Merged Double Post - - -

I agree. 650W is not like putting a big block V8 in a Mini Cooper.

This sounds like fun!

If you're primary purpose for the build is gaming. I suggest 2x8GB 3000mhz RAM. Corsair Vengence 2x8GB 3000mhz kit is good, been using it on a few builds and never had issues with it and it's usually priced competitively $109 on amazon right now, which is like $230 cheaper than the kit you want.

Get an RTX2070 with the extra money.

Back