• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Folding Siezed Up Again....

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Lonely Raven

If you traded with me please leave me Heatware Sen
I woke up this morning to find my main rig locked up after
several weeks of solid folding....I went to check the logs and
they were lost due to corruption.

Not sure what did it, but I'm wondering if it's those new phat
73 pointers.

I cleaned out the folder, downloaded a fresh EMIII and (just
in case) a fresh Folding Client and started her up new. Looks
like I'm taking a bite out of one of those 73 pointers now.

WOW! Whomever said that they were "flying" through those
phat pointers needs a good swift kick in the arse...I'm looking
at days of crunching....but hopefully that's just a bad time
guestimate by EMIII as I've not even finished the first frame
yet...it's still at 31% as I type this (Sigh).

Anywho, good luck to all of you who gag on a phat pointer!

On the lockup issue, I have seen on three systems a tendency for the clients to be frozen and begin to work again when the internet access is reestablished. I've found that if I shut everything down after it starts working again and do a reboot then the problem becomes less frequent. Also my P4 doesn't like the kvm setup (must use seperate mouse and keyboard)(I use data switches instead of actual kvms) and as I pass by The p4 (video is going through the Data switch) one of the units downstream will get a lockup of mouse and keyboard. Going back pass the p4 and moving its mouse and reversing to the effected box frees this lockup. Then theres the big freeze that occurs. Everything is locked tight. Only a reset clears this for me and the work unit restarts at 0%. System instability and sorry freeware programs usually are the cause of this for me.

lock-ups

This may sound weird, but the fastest folding box I've had did not put out very fast frame times compared to systems with similar hardware. It was running FreeBSD. It never locked-up for any reason whatsoever.

Similar boxes running windows and linux seem faster, but all it takes is a few hours or most of a day of being down for a stable box, such as my FreeBSD server to catch up and pass less stable rigs.

The moral: Overclocking to get the last drop from your CPU will more often than not SLOW DOWN YOUR FOLDING. Fold stable, fold on.

I dont know what to do w/this rig, its an OEM and i dont want to have to pay for a new PSU (power went out while it was on and the psu is nearly dead...) but i guess its my fault...and it will just...lock up every now and hten...just gotta find where i can get a dell psu...and i know pcpc makes a dell like one...but damn those are expensive :(

'Gumpy

oh oh! Check the main page...Joe (I think) had a link for
an adapter to allow you to use a regular PS on a Dell PC
that uses their messed up one.

Or, if you have a voltage meter, you could just map out what all
the connections are, and take a regular PS and just juggle the
connectors to make them work.

Dell got a lot of flack for doing such a bogus thing.

Back