• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

nibbler power?!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ryuen

ok, if i were to buy a cheap manual nibbler, people said to buy the more expensive types. i cant seem to find like the 20 dollar ones. any1 know where? but as far as 10 dollar ones, i found these 2. which work sbetter?

TONBHT.jpg

directron_1734_9392627

then i came across these:

http://www.builderdepot.com/browse.ihtml?pid=16732&step=5&prodstoreid=244

would this work? i mean itll be as noisy as a drill with snapping noises, but not as noisy as a dremel. and better than a dremel?

ideas? suggestions? dont wanna really go for a dremel because kinda expensive.

I use the one on the second picture and it seems to work great. The first one looks like it would need more room because of the angle that its at, might not be able to cut as close to some things such as edges.

You can get the 2nd one at Radio Shack. I just used it to cut some metal out, but it's not too comfortable in the hands (many blisters). The top one looks better in that aspect, but don't know how it works for actual cutting.

Has the second one but it does indeed hurt your hands... can even cause blisters if you go bananas like I did :O)

I have tried both, and although the first is more comfortable to use, it doesn't do a very good job. It has a tendency to curl the edges where you are cutting, a big no-no if you want to avoid using molding. Also, instead of punching the metal out of your way like the second one, it curls up in front of your cut, making it more difficult to cut any distance.

The drill attachment seems like it would work better. I saw a post a while back where a guy used that to make a window, and he said it worked great. I don't know if that's the same type that he used but it might be worth a try. Just get a spare sheet of metal and practice.

Just get a jigsaw and a metal blade for it. Far more efficient for cutting sheets.

Nibblers are only ideal when you're working with lots of round freeform cuts on thin sheets. In which case you'd want to get an ACTUAL power nibbler instead of an attachment.

ugh, don't get one of these things period. They are a pain and my hands hurt after a day of doing it that I couldn't open or close them. DO NOT!!! get it, especially if your going to cut into a steel case. But hey, for less than $10, go ahead and try it out if you want to waste some time. BTW, the cuts it made were very ugly and the edges curled when I was cutting with it on the corners.

I read some reviews on the nibbler, and it said they weren't worth it. Between curved cuts, jagged edges that you have to sand out, and a cramped hand, I wouldn't go that route. Save up and get a dremel.

shrug, ive used only the nibbler to do every single cut on my case, and I think they came out perfect. Yes I did cut out that big window with a nibbler :D

my case:

window1.jpg

I actually just used the nibbler 10 minutes ago to install that switch above the side fan for my cathode.

Hand nibblers are painful. That drill one looks nifty though.

Get something powered. Save time and your hands.

Azeroth said:
shrug, ive used only the nibbler to do every single cut on my case, and I think they came out perfect. Yes I did cut out that big window with a nibbler :D

I actually just used the nibbler 10 minutes ago to install that switch above the side fan for my cathode.

Must not like the dremel :)

Back