• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Wazzup with Dynamic Drives?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Aye, nothing here on the forums that I can find. This, however, is from MS:

A Win2K dynamic disk is a physical disk that doesn't use partitions or logical drives. Instead, it contains only dynamic volumes that you create in the Disk Management console. Regardless of what format you use for the file system, only Win2K computers can access dynamic volumes directly. However, computers that aren't running Win2K can access the dynamic volumes remotely when connected to the shared folders over the network. In NT, what we call sets (e.g., mirrored sets, striped sets) are in Win2K called volumes (e.g., mirrored volumes, striped volumes).

With dynamic disks, we can create fault-tolerant volumes such as striped, mirrored, and RAID-5 volumes. In addition, we can extend volumes and make changes to the disk without rebooting the computer. If you want to take advantage of these features, especially software fault- tolerant features, you must upgrade to dynamic disk.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnw2kmag00/html/DynamicDisks.asp

In XP, there is an option to convert ur HD into this format.

(right click My Computer, click Manage, select Disk Management in the Storage node in the left pane)

Anyone have any good or bad experiences with this?

I'll try to find the MS artcle, but I also belive there is a problem with accessing these disks if you say, reinstall your OS, or take them out and try to access them from another win2k machine. So if your OS craps out, you'll have a hard time getting at the data on any dynamic disks in your system.

Hi,

Before turning your partitions into dynamic disks, be ware also that most low level utilities such as disk imagers and so will not be able to access those, or will impose severe restrictions. I'm talking about thinks like drive image or Gosht.

Regards
FTC

basically, there is nothing good about dynamic disks. there really isn't anything that you can do with dynamic disks that you can't do with raid in a way... your choice...

the reason partition magic and norton ghost don't work on dynamic drives is that there are no partitions when you have your drives set as dynamic drives...

enough said... I dont think Ill be going to this format anytime soon . Sounds like a devious Redmond way of locking u up!

Thanks to all for the 411 :)

Dynamic disks let you do software raid. Thats about the only reason to use dynamic disks I think. I think it might also let you resize partitions on the fly, not sure on that.

Okey according to the PerfectCore, dynamic Disk allow u to do Raid 5./
Is this what u call "Software Raid"? and if so, is it like, reads from the software on one partition and writes to another partition type thing?

In any case Ill stay with NTSF and raid 1; but its good to know in case one of my clients would like to go with that option. (u know clients, they sometimes want the goofiest things)

No. Software raid is when the OS does the raid all by itself, without any help from any controller card.

Dynamic disks can also let you expand a volume(on unallocated space either on the same or multiple disks), like JBOD, without having to backup and recreate the array.

Back