• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Can a pump kill a video card?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Yuriman

Ok, i ended up losing my gf4, it died so i returned it and got the money, and bought a wc system. My friend sold me a tnt2 m64 for REAL cheap, and its been right next to my pump. Anyway, the screen distorted a few min ago and it just quit qorking. Both my monitors go crazy if not at 60hz within 5 feet of this Viaaqua1300. Anyway(i like that word), i put it in a new pci slot and it worked long enough to get into windows, then froze again. This card was only oc'd once, and has excelent cooling(copper heatsink on both sides, on the bottom is a fan). I figured it was the pump, any thoughts?

Ok, since nobody has any thoughts(i know i didnt wait long), how can i afro engineer a cheap interfierence(spellcheck) reducer, or should i just try to move my pump REALY far away?

Hmmmm....... That would take some time and soup tho.....would i have to cover all of it? Or just slit the can and cover the sides?

Anything metal will shield it. Like he said a tin can will work. A soda can will work too. If it wont fit inside it, just cut the thing apart, and make a wall between the card and the pump. Any EMI will be blocked and it should stop your problem if that is the cause.

If you wanna be real ghetto, you dont even have to cut them. Just put a wall of cans between your card and the pump. LOL!

GEEZ, this thing must be radioactive, because my monitor on the other side of my computer still flickers at 70hz, as the pump runs at 60 that is the only res i can use.

Is there anyway you can set your monitor to 75 or 90 Hz?
That usually gets rid of any flicker on my monitor, even when the pump is right next to it.

Rocko[DPC] said:
Anything metal will shield it. Like he said a tin can will work. A soda can will work too. If it wont fit inside it, just cut the thing apart, and make a wall between the card and the pump. Any EMI will be blocked and it should stop your problem if that is the cause.

No, not "anything metal will shield it."

You are trying to shield a low frequency magnetic field. To do it you need a ferromagnetic material. (i.e. something a magnet will stick to.)

An aluminum soda can will not work. Try sticking a magnet to it.

The most practical material to use is steel. "Tin" cans are generally steel cans with a thin tin plating, or other type of plating to prevent them from rusting.

Cutting the tin can any more than necessary should be avoided. The ideal shape of the shield, would probably be a continuous sphere surrounding the pump. That's not really practical, but the steel will do it's job best if it seamlessly and smoothly curves around the pump.

In any case, it all boils down to slide a "tin can" over the pump. (A notch for the inlet or outlet tubes won't reduce it's effectiveness too much.) Just make sure the "tin can" is actually steel by checking that a magnet will stick to it.

Since87 said:
The most practical material to use is steel. "Tin" cans are generally steel cans with a thin tin plating, or other type of plating to prevent them from rusting.

Does that mean if your case is steel, there shouldn't be a problem?

Out of curiousity, Yuriman, is your case aluminum, or steel?

Thx.

anvil82 said:

Does that mean if your case is steel, there shouldn't be a problem?

Short answer - maybe.

Think about the magnetic field lines around a bar magnet:

bar_magnet.gif

All the magnetic field lines loop from south to north. In that image, the lines shown going off the image at the bottom connect to the corresponding lines at the top. They make very wide loops through space.

The goal of shielding is to prevent the widely looping lines from reaching out and disturbing the monitor. Ferromagnetic materials (like iron/steel) have a high magnetic permeability. (Compared to air/vacuum) This means that the magnetic field lines can pack much more tightly together within the steel. In a sense, the magnetic field lines can take a shortcut, because they don't have to stay as widely seperated from each other in steel as they do in air.

However, the steel only acts as a shortcut if it's going in the same general direction that the magnetic field line wanted to go anyway. Depending on the orientation of the steel with respect to the magnet, the steel can actually cause a magnetic field to reach out farther in one direction than it would have without the steel. (Example: sticking a magnet on the head of a non-magnetized nail and picking up iron filings with the point of the nail.)

So, depending on various factors, a steel case might actually worsen the effect a pump has on the monitor. (In general I'd expect a steel case to be helpful, but it's not easy to say for certain.)

The benefit of the 'tin' can is that it can form a fairly tight 'loop' of steel around the pump and provide a good shortcut, without stretching the field out to someplace we don't want it to reach.

i think its just the pump causing it, you via 1300. i had that thing for a few days and retrned it because it flickerd my screen crazy

but i have a hydor L30 and it dosent flicker my screen. it runs in my case, should i still shield it with a tin can?

If the pump is not causing monitor problems, I wouldn't worry about shielding. I don't think the field from the the pump is going to have any impact to speak of on the PC circuitry.

The magnetic field certainly shouldn't be able to kill a well designed videocard.

Unshielded CRT's are very sensitive to magnetic fields.

Since87 said:
The magnetic field certainly shouldn't be able to kill a well designed videocard.

Unshielded CRT's are very sensitive to magnetic fields.

Agreed, the vid card should be fine. Any CRT is sensitive to magnetic fields, shielded or not;) After all, only the back of the CRT can be shielded...(Speaking from much experience degaussing both monitors and televisions that have been placed too near speakers when I was employed as an electronics tech :D)

rmonster said:

Agreed, the vid card should be fine. Any CRT is sensitive to magnetic fields, shielded or not;) After all, only the back of the CRT can be shielded...(Speaking from much experience degaussing both monitors and televisions that have been placed too near speakers when I was employed as an electronics tech :D)

Right, any CRT will have some sensitivity.

Because of cases people have described here, where the same model of pump causes a major problem with one monitor, and no problem with another, I think the quality of monitor shielding probably varies a lot.

Back