• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ME isn't too bad... but it ain't w2k

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Audioaficionado

Sparkomatic Moderator
ME was OK until I auto updated it. Now it's just BSOD every reboot attempt. I can't say I wasn't warned :( It took out an almost completed F@H WU too when it crashed.

ME might be good if you put it on a PII or Duron box and just do email and browse the internet while writing word docs for school.

It has more goodies than 98se does but that's what makes it break easier. I don't hate ME and I still think it's an OK OS but I just messed with it too much. It can't protect itself as well as w2k can.

Edit:

It was an easy fix. Just rebooted with a bootdisk.com custom ME floppy and got into the 98lite/ME setup folder I copied to the HD and reinstalled it using 98lite to get rid of some more bloat while I was at it.

BTW ME plays nice with other bootloaders unlike some earlier win9x OS. I still had the dual boot option with w2k when I was done. A w2k repair polished it up to perfection.

I have never had any troubles with Me, I also found on older machines it was easier since it has a very good driver base that I installed that over 98se, it almost always find all hardware and sets up the correct driver, in fact I am installing it as I post onto my bosses machine( And no I don't hate him!!)

-mamer

I'm running Cacheman with ME as it has some memory/resource issuses (just like 98se does) that Cacheman can deal with. Even when I get that second 512Mb RAM stick installed, it won't bother ME as it's set to only use the first 512.

I'd rather have installed it on an old Celly or Duran instead on my highly overclockable Abit NF7-S mobo. Of the win9x OS, ME clocks the fastest. MElite's sleek or micro GUI shell options make things very fast as explorer 95 is a fraction of the ME/98 explorer GUI shell size.

Back