• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Laptop + win98

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

verbatim

I got a problem with an old laptop I have got.

Its a pentium 200mhz and I'm trying to install win 98 on it. All is fine untill the windows setup screen appears, then I get the following error message: Fault in ms-dos extender, Bad fault in ms-dos extender. I think its a hardware issue but not sure. Anyone know plz?

Hmmm...have you tried to recreate the boot disk? It's possible some information on it could've gotten corrupted or something. Try to make a boot disk with a disk you know for sure is working fine and see if that helps. That MS-DOS extender looks like a software problem. If it's not the boot disk, then it could be your CD, itself...is it scratched or dusty or smudged in any way?

Could be your memory... try reseating it.

*AND HERE'S THE REASON WHY*

BTW - this is NOT googled, this is one of the few pointless shreds of information that I know...

[uselessjunk]
The Dos extenders were used to allow programs bigger than 640k to run under DOS, by using special coding to "Extend" the 640k of base/conventional memory into the XMS or EMS space.

Hence, if your memory is not quite working right, then the dos extender will give you grief (as you found :D)
[/uselessjunk]

Yea clean install, formated drive, working software on desktop machines etc. I even tried a few old dos games and while they install fine they lock up and produce the same error at title screen.
cheers for replys.

*edit* now how the hell do I pull this bad-boy apart??

ah ha!! iamthegreatest--u are I reseated the ram and while b4 it was saying 16mb now it says 32mb!! Now the setup goes further but gives some other errors. I'll keep tryin-cheers.

DONE! after I reset the mem I fdisk'd the hdd to del then create partition. I then rebooted and win98se setup formatted 4 me and installed correctly.

Thx 4 all yer help.

Back